Notices

Help Please

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help Please

I have absolutely no control over my drinking. I have been drinking to the point of black out 4 out of 7 days a week for months now.

I want to be whole again.

I really don't want to join AA, I live in a small community and I am ashamed. Do I have any other options? Are there people here that can give me some advice that doesn't involve AA?

I am ready to do the work to stop this horrific downward spiral that I am on. Any feedback would be much appreciated, even if it is that I don't have any other options.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

You might check this section out.

Secular 12 Step Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

The longer you hang out here at SR you'll find there are people here recovering from their alcohol/substance abuse in many many different ways.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
I have absolutely no control over my drinking. I have been drinking to the point of black out 4 out of 7 days a week for months now.

I want to be whole again.

I really don't want to join AA, I live in a small community and I am ashamed. Do I have any other options? Are there people here that can give me some advice that doesn't involve AA?

I am ready to do the work to stop this horrific downward spiral that I am on. Any feedback would be much appreciated, even if it is that I don't have any other options.
It's nothing to be ashamed of. So many of us have been right where you are. Are you aware of anybody in your community who is in AA? If you are, perhaps you can speak to them....if you are not, then you have no reason to think members of your community, other than those who are at the meetings, would come to find out you are in AA. And those who are in AA would welcome you with open arms.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AlaskaGirl, there is yet another forum that discusses recovery/abstinence ideas that are not associated with any 12 step program, spiritual or secular. They are discussed in the secular connections forum.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You All.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AG...
Please do contact your doctor about how best to de tox.
It's really the safest way to come off alcohol...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I also come from a small community. At first I went to meetings in my community, I stopped due to my children. There were a lot of people who were court ordered and some things were said to my children. I am fortunate enough to live within an hour of 3 different cities. I drive there for my meetings. I don't know if that is an option for you or not.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person.

I have been in recovery for a long time using books and SR.

There are many ways to recover and if you look around the boards you will see a variety of methods.

The bottom line, I think, is your motivation. I needed to desperately want to be sober. I hope you talk to your dr before you detox as it can be dangerous, and keep reading and posting.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Alaskagirl, I'm in AA so I'm not really familiar with any other options (except this forum), but just know that you're not alone. A lot of us have been where you are. There are options other than AA and please use whatever it takes to recover. As others said, detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous, even fatal, so please talk to a doctor about it and don't try to detox on your own. Keep coming back here and let us know how you're doing.

--Fenris.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Best wishes on staying stopped! Try drinking less and look into proper tapering off alcohol. There are many ways to get stopped & stay stopped. I do suggest getting through feelings of shame, turn that into the opposite-think more positively, it will help you stop the drink madness!

Honor. One word that is the opposite of shame. Honor yourself with sobriety. You can do it!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Alaska!

I am here in alaska too, just sent you a Private Message. For me, not one single thing seems to keep me sober. I was in in-patient rehab once, and outpatient twice and still drank. I went to AA and couldn't stay sober. I tried therapy, that didnt work. I joined a new church and turned my life over to God. That didnt work, (I even went to a ladies bible study drunk one time. Geez! Talk about shame!) I got my doctor involved, and she prescribed some meds that have been helpful. That did not work. I tried reading my way sober, reading self help books and stories of recovery. I even took classes at good old UAA on Addiction/Recovery. FINALLY I decided that there was no one single way to get sober, so I put ALL my tools together and I seem to be doing much much better. I go to meetings, 4 or 5 a week, I go to therapy once a week, I go to church and bible studies, 3 times a week, I see my doctor every 8 weeks and take my meds daily, and I read, all the time. I pray, all the time. And I spend a HUGE amount of time here at SR. And I am sober! But the voice in my head does like to tell me that if I were to sneak a drink, just one or two, I could control it, enjoy it, and no one would ever know. I am not listening to that voice right now. But its not easy.
Hang in there... keep coming back to SR! And follow those links that were posted.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Alaskagirl! You are not alone. I was ashamed, embarassed (still am, actually) but the good thing is that you recognise that there is a problem and it needs to change. I'm new to this, I went to my first AA meeting last week. I didn't want to go, I was nervous to the point of nausea, couldn't even walk in the door...a guy convinced me to walk in with him and I'm glad I did. I felt alot better when I left that meeting. I'm not trying to convince you to go to AA, different things work for different people and there are many other resources out there to help you with this. Please do not let the shame, or any other negative feelings get in the way of seeking help. Remember, that if you do decide to join a group or go to a meeting about alcoholism, you will be surrounded by people who are living with the same problem that you have. There will be no judgement because these people can relate to what you are going through. I do not agree whole-heartedly with some of the things AA teaches, so I am not and probably will not be an avid member, but I can honestly say that I did get something good out of it. AA may not be for you, and that's fine, just don't give up trying to seek help elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Alaska Girl

D
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR alaskagirl!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome AlaskaGirl -

I'm glad you're looking for ways to get sober. It's such a vicious cycle to continue drinking and it only gets worse, never better. Maybe a private talk with a doctor would help, if you're not ready to try AA..... And definitely stay plugged in with us. We know what it's like......:ghug3
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmm, are you sure? Try and maybe just go to one meeting and talk to another woman there who seems really cool and to have been there quite some time, and ask her how she does it and still stays part of your town? AA needs people to help people and chances ARE there are PEOPLE like you all over your small community who would be going to that meeting (if they weren't ashamed, etc)...maybe just try it once...have someone drop you off n pick you up? Just try it, once? It's better than dying from alcoholic hepatitis...just saying.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. I made it through last night just fine. I have a question, I think I will start a new thread as well... several people have posted about detoxing and how dangerous it is. I frequently will go as much as a week without drinking without having gone to a doctor. I slept fine last night and feel fairly good today. How long to I have to be worried about withdraw hurting my body? Someone in another thread actually told me I shouldn't be here, I should be in a detox facility. That kind of took me back a little. I am not in denial about my lack of control over drinking once I start, but I didn't believe I needed to be monitored to stop drinking. I have done it over and over again. It's that first drink that gets me back on a roll.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

At SR, we are extremely scrupulous about avoiding giving of medical advice. That is a no no. The one of the results is that any response to a medical question will be to see a Dr for a professional opinion. Only you can make these decisions for yourself.