Notices

Hit a Cyclist Today

Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Hit a Cyclist Today

Hello SR friends, I hope all is well. I had a very eye opening experience this evening while I was driving to an AA meeting - I hit a bicyclist with my car. Thank god he was uninjured and I only tapped him. He did fly off his bike though and for a minute I thought he might have been hurt badly.

In an uncanny way, I feel like this accident happened for a reason - to drive home the fact that there is indeed a higher power watching over me. By the grace of god, the bicyclist was left unscathed. It made me really think about just how fragile life is and how it can be taken away in the blink of an eye. It also made me think about all the times that I got behind the wheel of a car drunk and how selfish and arrogant I was when I was "proud" of myself for making it home safely. Thank god the bicyclist was not hurt and thank god I was sober when the accident happened. Earlier in the week I was craving a drink - now I am not. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Wow! I'm glad everyone is OK. What a great reminder of how life could be more complicated if we were still drinking.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad both you and the bike guy are ok FHB

D
Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw your thread title and thought "Oh, no . . ." Thank God no one was hurt.

I've driven under the influence before, a lot of times taking the "back way home" driving down rural country roads with an open beer in the car. Never saw much traffic. Then it occured to me, what if something unexpected happened like my car broke down or I hit a deer? I'd be screwed despite the fact that there isn't any traffic around.

Thankfully, I don't do this type of thing anymore.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, thankfully everyone was okay. I can definitely relate to that proud feeling of making it home when drinking and driving, how terrible. I am vey grateful now that I do not do that anymore, and that I make myself available if I find myself at a party and someone needs a ride home who has been drinking. Thanks for the post!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember flying through the air, once or twice, in a bicycle-car interaction, LOL... scary stuff...

Drivers just do the best they can with us and it our responsibility to be very alert. Thankfully I ride on deserted rural roads most of the time and I can hear a car coming from a long way off.

Just last week I had a verrrrry close call, my fault actually... I rode up to the driver to apologize and take responsibility, because I am sure that she was shook up as well, it's a blind intersection... And she smiled, forgave me and told me she watches real close there because she's done the same thing on her bike in the exact same place...

Yea, my higher power came to mind.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so very happy you were sober FHB1. I'm also very thankful the cyclist is okay. Regardless of who was at fault...if you were drinking the repercussions would've been life changing.

My sister was hit by a drunk driver while riding her bicycle. She just graduated College...was enjoying her special day with a bike ride. She flew head first into the windshield. The driver had my sister in his lap. Her little body was mangled and her brain was forever damaged. She stayed in a coma for 3 months. When she finally woke after many many surgeries ....she had to relearn everything. She didn't know who she was...didn't know how to walk or talk. Her injuries healed but her brain never did. No teaching career...no memory of her life.....it's heartbreaking. I think the saddest part, is when she learns something she forgets due to short term memory loss. Everyone of her days is a struggle.

I tell this story to convince maybe just one person, to think twice before drinking and getting behind that wheel....its life changing for everyone.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

FHB, thank goodness the cyclist is alright. And, I'm glad the accident has strengthed your belief in the Universe and your sobriety.

Opivotal, your story is incredibly sad. (((Opi)))
Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks- HP! Glad all is well. I, too, lost a 5 year old cousin. She was crossing the street, school bus lights flashing...someone didn't want to wait. Another cousin has a horrendous scar-hit by a drunk driver.

Please be alert!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Like Zebra, I saw the title to this thread and had the "Oh no!" reaction. Really glad no one was hurt and that you saw the positive of the experience.

--Fenris.