Notices

Some reasons not to drink

Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some reasons not to drink

Yesterday was my Day 5. I had started a half marathon training plan a few weeks ago. I took last week pretty much off because I was feeling depressed... depressed about being an alcoholic and about losing my friend who is an alcoholic and about bad things that happened to me/my boyfriend because we were drinking.

Yesterday I was trying hard to be positive and productive, so I picked back up with the training plan. Mainly because my friend had been constantly reminding me that we are supposed to run 7 miles. So I ran the 7 miles with her and my boyfriend and it felt *so* much better and easier than before. I was faster, better able to keep up with my fast friend, and I wasn't full of my usual complaints about the sandy patches and the rocks in the road and the hills etc.

It really felt like a totally different run. I commented that it was probably because I had had a week of rest and my friend said, no, I think it's because you haven't had anything to drink for nearly a week. I said, yeah, it makes a big difference! She said that after that run she deserved a beer, and went home to drink one (she's a normal drinker and knows that I'm not drinking right now due to health/productivity reasons and b/c alcohol has gotten my boyfriend into legal trouble, but, she doesn't know the extent of my issue or that I just don't want to drink at all, ever). My boyfriend and I went to a pizza place and shared pizza and a salad and water, and we spent the whole night talking with clear heads about our goals and progress. It felt great. It is definitely a motivation to stay sober. I'm about to go meet my friend at the gym but just wanted to share this accomplishment that was inspirational to me. I am going to keep up my race training plan because I've found it's definitely a reason not to drink. And so are all the great conversations with my boyfriend that I actually fully focus on and remember the next day... and wake up next to him without a hangover. Yay.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just posted something very similar in the fitness forum, and I can definitely relate! It's amazing how much of a difference there is when off the sauce isn't it? I know my body doesn't hold a grudge for the years of abuse I put it through.. sounds like your body forgives you as well! =)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrAverage View Post
I just posted something very similar in the fitness forum, and I can definitely relate! It's amazing how much of a difference there is when off the sauce isn't it? I know my body doesn't hold a grudge for the years of abuse I put it through.. sounds like your body forgives you as well! =)
Yeah, for the past year or so, whenever I tried to work out, diet, or lose weight, I wouldn't get into any better shape, and I kept thinking/saying, well I must just be getting older. My metabolism's slow and I can't lose weight or get into shape the way I used to be able to. But now I'm thinking it was because of the alcohol. Because already I feel and perform much better physically, and I think I look better too and I'm already losing weight. It's amazing.

I didn't know there was a fitness forum, I'll have to check it out, thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a really great post and it's good that you're seeing improvement in your life already.

I started taking long walks when I stopped drinking, simply to get myself out of the house after dinner. I had no idea how helpful they would be. It was great exercise, and it was just good to be out and around other people after isolating so long. I also often walked with my husband and we talked with no interruptions which was super. Plus, I started to pay attention to the beauty of the world around me.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounding good Pigtails!

D
Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice mileage Pigtails
Old 10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
That's a really great post and it's good that you're seeing improvement in your life already.

I started taking long walks when I stopped drinking, simply to get myself out of the house after dinner. I had no idea how helpful they would be. It was great exercise, and it was just good to be out and around other people after isolating so long. I also often walked with my husband and we talked with no interruptions which was super. Plus, I started to pay attention to the beauty of the world around me.
Hi Anna. Yes, it's helped me to change my routine for the better. Now I go for runs after work, which is when I would normally go to happy hour or home for a drink. The only negative is that it makes my mind race and it's harder to sleep... so I am going to try to start working out in the morning (I'm so not a morning person but am trying to change this) so I get that mental boost for the whole day, and then after work I'm going to try to write and read. And you're right that it's nice to be outdoors and pay attention to nature. :-)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cardio View Post
Nice mileage Pigtails
Thanks Cardio. I'm training for a half marathon in December. It's funny because I haven't run one in two years and that's when my drinking really started spiraling out of control. So it's nice to be back.