Notices

15 days sober and challenges beckon

Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 days sober and challenges beckon

I have enjoyed the last 15 days 'Vodka Free' and want to continue in a World where I participate on a daily basis with a clear head and sound decisions. I travel a a lot and there is a proscribed pattern in the past of getting loaded prior to boarding the plane ... the airport has always been a trigger. I am going to NC tomorrow and I am trying to develop strategies to get my ass on plane sober and remain that way for the duration of the journey ... and return in the same sober condition! I have been going to meetings and devoring books relating to being 'mindful' of our friend alcohol, but as yet I haven't developed the 'full concept' of an HP (I am non-Abrahamic). I have a set of distractions in my briefcase ... but as banal as it seems, I am looking for any other suggestions that might help ... or maybe I am over thinking it and getting myself wound up for no reason as I really do NOT feel like a drink?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Over thinking can be a problem for me too. I have to really force myself to think of anything rather than alcohol otherwise drinking will be on my mind the whole time. I am a very nervous flyer & always used to drink before a flight. Now I find a seat far from the bar and do a bit of "people watching". Humans are endlessly fascinating! Listening to loud music on my ipod also helps prevent the mind from ruminating.

Probably not much help, but just to let you know that you are not alone!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Hi!

When I hear myself saying "I don't feel like" doing something, I remind myself that I'm being a selfish child...then I have to do whatever it is... I prefer to run with a feeling, right or wrong.

Get on your plane, do your job...you CAN do it! You'll feel better about yourself, too!

You can stay stopped from drinking, at least for today.

I don't know if this helps you.
I support you!

Your cheering section,
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't mean to sound stupid but what is non-Abrahamic?

When I'm traveling/relaxing/on vacation and don't want to drink, I like to read memoirs by former alcoholics. It helps me to see how they've come through it and what they've made of their lives. I too wonder if this keeps me stuck in drinking/non-drinking analysis in my head, but, it's where I'm at, and I would rather read about former drinkers than drink. Reading the memoirs of children of alcoholics is also illuminating to me because it makes me realize how my life can go and the number of people it can affect if I don't stay stopped for good. (And I don't even have children/I'm not married... it just helps me to see how negatively alcohol can influence even innocent people, so that the pina colada at the beach doesn't seem nearly as enticing to me when the thought pops into my head!)

You could also journal about what you're feeling and thinking, and your observations about other people. I live in my head so these are my ways of coping but if you're more social then maybe strike up a conversation with the passenger beside you and find out about what they're doing and where they're going... this may take your mind of your own urges to drink. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have challenges flying as well, listen to some of these tapes while waiting in the lobby AA Speaker Tapes : Find Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers

This one is great & speaks of flying :-) Earl H. from Studio City, CA : The Rule 62 Roundup in Erlanger, KY : AA Speaker Tapes

All of the best on your trip ;-)
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmm the stress and excess time at airports has known to bite me big. I found if I really immersed myself in a book it was easier to avoid the temptation while waiting to board and during the flight. On arrival , same deal , if I have to bring a few books I will do that.

With a lot of cheap or free wifi , now I can log in here and read or post.

I am getting the fact as mentioned above that my kids need a full dad , not a drunk and heck I need a life , not a vodka prison trip to hell while still living so perhaps inspiration there. I have taken the BB with me too. Always some good reminders that I am not different than a lot of those folks with the same silly notions of controlling my drinking....which is never the case.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
I don't mean to sound stupid but what is non-Abrahamic?
non-Abrahamic = non-christian-jewish-muslim

And hold, one doesn't need a higher power to be strong in the face of addiction. If you can find a way to relate to the HP concept, great! If not, no big deal.. your own willpower can be your higher power. Sometimes it's just easier to stay distracted like others mentioned.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I absolutely hate flying!!! With a passion! I get the worst anxiety in the world and the second I was in my seat I was ordering a drink to "de-stress" myself. However looking back at it, the drink never helped. One drink did nothing, two did nothing, three was a little better, and before you know it I was drunk and not able to enjoy where it was I was going. I was telling myself a drink helped, but in reality it didnt. So much of my fear and anxiety from flying is in my mind. So this last time I flew I decided to trick my mind by destracting it. I got a good book that I could easily submerse myself in, listen to some music, sipped on some sprite, and before I knew it we were landing. I know everyone is different and anxiety may not be your issue but if it is I would suggest distracting your mind in ways other than drinking. Besides, flying hungover is the worst!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Failing to prepare - is preparing to fail"

I agree with Pigtails - I recently read "American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot" - Craig Ferguson's bio..fantastic!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You could give yourself a reward for flying sober...look forward to whatever that reward would be (i.e. an ice cream cone, a book you want, a massage...whatever).
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate the tips, books, music and movies are packed I also like the tip about the AA tapes which I will download ... thank you all for your support. I AM looking forward to biscuits and gravy for Breakfast!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by holdfold View Post
I appreciate the tips, books, music and movies are packed I also like the tip about the AA tapes which I will download ... thank you all for your support. I AM looking forward to biscuits and gravy for Breakfast!
Sounds like you are prepared, have a good flight & a great trip. Let us know how things go.

Take Care ~ NB
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All went well ... sober throughout ... not even a twinge ... distraction is definately the key! Even went into Grills (with bars) to get food ... no temptation at all ... hopefully this will continue as I am on another trip next week. Thanks again for all the help, it worked well.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Well done, Holdfold. That sober muscle gets stronger with exercise.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you holdfold. You're proving that you can do this thing.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you holdfold

D