Notices

10 days sober and counting....

Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm 18 days sober! And I feel f**king fantastic!!!
My self esteem has increased tremendously. All those problems I thought I had were not problems at all. It was the drinking! My life is not perfect, but I'm excited to do some hard work, and reap the sense of accomplish that comes with that. I'm proud of myself for being able to make good decisions right now. I'm learning to forgive myself for my past, and appreciate the character that builds from living through addiction. Now, I just have to ween myself off the sugar!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 18 days!! Feels good to feel good again, doesn't it?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Wow your story sounds similar to mine, Im at 8 months and Im here to tell ya sobriety is habit forming. Im also in a band and fortunately none of of us drink or smoke. Keep it up, it gets easier every day. I ate alot of sugar early on ,weened myself off and started a low carb lifestyle, lost 16 lbs so far and it cured my acid reflux.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 15 here and need to cut my carbs down but not much of a sweet tooth , I opt for Corn Chip and Salsa over ice cream....

I lost a few pounds in just a few weeks with all the crap calories of vodka gone though it was probably fluid retention more than anything.

With you HM on feeling alive and some self respect/esteem coming around. A big part is not looking in the mirror in the morning at the physically sick face , all dried out , eyes burning red and shaking for a drink. Hard to feel good about that and then even smelling the drink on you yourself ...knowing others can smell it ten feet away. Hardly a positive place for anyone to feel good about .

Yup , can't alter the past , who knows about tomorrow , all we have is today and right now. I won't close the window on the past but also won't beat myself over the head about it , just look back at my journals to see if there is a useful piece to help me stay sober and grateful today.

Have a good 24
Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had a very hard day at the office. Everything went wrong that possibly could go wrong, and it all came crashing down on my desk!
I threw my hands up and said F**K IT! I'm going to get F**CKED UP TONIGHT!!!! AND I DON'T CARE!!!!!
Then I came home. I calmed down. And I'm happy to say I will close out day number 21 as sober. These moments are fleeting.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you reconsidered.
Drunk or sober, bad days pass just the same - may as well be kind to ourselves and make it through sober

D
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good on you for not picking up that first drink
CaiHong
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hang in there your doing fantastic
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good words, all.

Grateful for my sobriety.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

that was inspiring. congrats on the 10 days. i can relate to your old habits. Your thoughts are deeply appreciated. xoxoxox.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 23.
It's Friday, and tonight will be my first time being around alcohol in a social environment. I will be going to dinner with friends who will have drinks. I have no urge to drink, but I recognize the temptation there. The goal I have set for myself is to post on this site at the end of the evening....sober. Stay tuned.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

look forward to your post later

D
Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well hello day number 24!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Watching friends and loved-ones get sh*t canned last night seriously reinforced why I don't drink.

I was able to enjoy the evening for what it was- delicious food, great conversation, and laughing until my cheeks hurt. I'm very proud of myself. Sobriety really is a gift that enables you to see the world, and discover yourself. I'm excited to be on this journey.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Just now reading this whole thread. Harshmistress...this is wonderful!! It makes me so happy to hear when fellow travelers find their way...

Sobriety really is a gift that enables you to see the world, and discover yourself. I'm excited to be on this journey.
Love your words here and can feel your excitement. I still feel this way after several years without alcohol.

On a side note, I too watched friends get sh*t canned last weekend. I was like...really?? OMG I can't believe I used to be like that! Holy crap what a waste of time, money, and brain cells...but like you, I still found a way to have a great time. There is so much to appreciate all around us we only have to look to see it.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

HarshMistress (can I just call you Moon?), you have touched on every prickly, terrifying, joyful, inspired, brave and grateful moment that came from your decision to make that right choice every time, no matter what. You are an inspiration.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 26. I'm officially off the patch and my body is nicotine free for the first time in many, many years. I was giving so much effort and attention to abstaining from alcohol that I didn't even notice the lack of smoking. This is huge for me. I have essentially been a pack-a-day smoker since I was 15. Here's to better health!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow this is exciting!
Good for you!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Congrats on Day 26!!!! Look forward to a new post tomorrow!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just read through the thread. Your first post really resonated, harshmistress. Congratulations on your continued sobriety.