Notices

I want to drink - HELP!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink - HELP!

Today is day 20 for me. I am feeling very tired and sick with a cold. My stupid injured brain is telling me a drink would help me to nap. I know it is a lie, yet it is dancing all around me. When will it stop? This disease, addiction, affliction, condition whatever you want to call it is just horrible. I am trying to distract myself, but the urge feels unrelenting.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling poorly. Just think the drink through.
With me, one led to another, and drinking NEVER helped anything in my life.

Sick, feeling great, depressed, I drank on all those occasions and I never felt any better.
If I drank, I just felt worse the next day. Regret, remorse, mental anguish, not to mention the physical symptoms.

I hope you feel better SOON. Drinking never helped anyone recover from an illness.

Hang in there, and best to you.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tanja - Good Morning! Hang in there!

From reading your earlier posts I actually don't think that you want to drink. I think your Addictive Voice is taking advantage of you not feeling well and is messing with your head! It's good at that.... However, you're stronger than it is!

Just remind yourself that you don't feel good today because you're sick - not because your sober. If you drink you'll really feel bad - you'll be sick and you'll be dealing with a hangover and the negative, horrible feelings that go with it.

You can stay sober today - you already have 20 days!!! Don't throw it all away over an illness. What can you do to make today more tolerable. Do you have anyone that you can send to the store for chicken soup, movies and magazines. Are you able to curl up on the sofa and be a couch potato for the day?

Or do you have responsibilities you have to take care of? If you have stuff to do today maybe you can make sure that you have some hot, honey tea to carry along with you? Wear your most comfy clothes and shoes - that always helps me. Maybe it's cool enough where you are that you can wear a hoodie (I love that ) For me, sometimes its the little "treats" are what make the day (if I take the time to think about it).

Just remember - Sunday is coming whether you drink or not. Think about how you want to physically and mentally feel tomorrow. Keep us posted!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Try buying some OTC cold product that does not contain alcohol
Yes there are many and I hope you feel better soon..
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early recovery I often had the urge to drink. I asked myself two questions: one, will a drink make the situation better? and two, do I really want to feel like sh!t tomorrow. So far I haven't even had to ask the second question.

With time, the urge will go away. Work hard on your recovery. And count your blessings.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I was totally obsessing over a drink earlier this week. I went to a restaurant and asked the waiter to make me a non-alcoholic cocktail. It was delicious but when I got home I had this TOTAL obsession about how I could make a cocktail just like that one with a huge shot of booze in it. Nothing could get the idea out of my head at the time. The idea passed. It's Saturday night and thank God I'm sober. I am just going to use SR for an hour so before I go to a late night meeting near my home. It starts at 10pm. All I need to do is get through another hour or so and then I can be at the meeting and then I think I can get to bed sober tonight which is all I want.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tanja, tell that thought to get lost! Drinking would just make you feel worse, both physically and mentally. A cold is bad enough on its own, a cold plus a hangover is so not worth it. I'm sorry you're dealing with this while you're sick, and I hope you feel better soon. Stick with us!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

tanja - What you're feeling is perfectly normal. It's still early days for you. We're so used to falling back on our old crutch - we have to learn to live again without it, and it's hard in the beginning. These urges & cravings will get less & less. You'll get stronger & more confidant as you go along.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
When will it stop? This disease, addiction, affliction, condition whatever you want to call it is just horrible. I am trying to distract myself, but the urge feels unrelenting.
When I really accepted 'never again' could I drink. And when I understood that to be a wonderful relief and that life without alcohol would be far superior to life with alcohol (even the elusive 'moderation')? Then it really didn't last long at all.

You, too can move on with your 'real' life.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tanja

being sick was a problem for me too - I'd tried to drink away any hint of 'feeling bad' for 20 years. I think it's a natural reaction to have those kinds of thoughts early in recoivery.

The good news is you don't have to act on it

Do all the usual stuff for colds - drinking will not help a cold - in fact in my experience it usually prolongs an illness...

See your Dr if you think you need to, or visit your friendly neighbourhood drug store - keeping away from the alcohol based stuff as Carol suggested.

Hope you feel better soon!
D