Notices

climbing the mountain

Old 10-15-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

climbing the mountain

Today is day 11 for me after a summer with a few day 11s. I am about to leave my home and climb a mountain peak with some work associates. I don't know them really well, but they seem very friendly and I decided to have a day of non-work. I seldom do this. I feel strong and confident now, but I know that it is engagement in some out of the ordinary, somewhat challenging task that can be dangerous for me. When I accomplish the task at hand, whether writing a report or chainsawing a yard full of branches, I can easily entice myself into a "short" celebration. They are never short. Today I am trying to formulate a plan and keep my eye on the prize. I communicate to you, my new found SR friends. I'll climb that peak and return home early enough in the day to make a beer run. Instead, I'll write in my journal and visit with the SRC. I'll read postings from other SR folks and try to make contributions where I can, I just have to go into the day with my eyes open. Thanks for being out there.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Morning! Wow - climbing a mountain peak. That sounds amazing! I hope you have a wonderful day. Make sure to stop and take in the scenery and the peacefulness!! And make sure to tell us all about it later today.

I used to hike some before kids and miss it very much. Soon they will be old enough that we can start again; we don't have family around that we can leave with and a babysitter is way to expensive for a day of hiking.

Soooo - I can live vicariously through you today. Is it a long hike? Do you know what the elevation is going to be? Any snow? Make sure to bring all the details Maybe even post a picture from the top of the mountain (if that's possible; I'm a newbie and just finding my way around. We'd love to see the view!

Don't forget to hydrate today and eat some good snacks (protein and a little sugar ). You don't want to come home hungry and thirsty. Maybe have something in your bag or the car for when you're finished. A nice touch would be to add a note to remind yourself of your goals and why you want to stay sober - LOL a small snack for your brain

You can do this! Who needs needs booze and a nasty hangover (not mention the emotional baggage) after such an awesome, inspiring day? You don't!

We'll talk to later! Have fun!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy your day of mountain-climbing.

Be sure to come back and tell us about the adventure.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Enjoy...
Old 10-15-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mountain climbed

Hello everyone, thanks for the kind response to my morning email. I climbed to the top of an 8000 ft peak and the view was spectacular. It was about an 8 hour round trip. I feel tired but contented. I have plenty of time to head into town and buy beer, but oddly I haven't the urge at all. I'm safe and happy for tonight. I can often go for long (i.e. weeks) stretches of sobriety, and then in the blink of an eye, my brain takes over and convinces me to just take it easy, have a few, and all will still be fine. Intellectually I know it won't be fine, but I've not learned to resist that moment. Staying active here will, I hope very much, help me to stay focused on the most important thing in my life right now: staying sober.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on climbing the mountain Chainsaw - in at least two senses

D