Notices

Sick of hurting people...and myself

Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of hurting people...and myself

I am not new to this. I have been to jail for this, mettings due to going to jail, rehab, and told numerous times that I am an alcoholic. I still didn't believe it. I thought I had control of everything, and that I could have my cake and eat it too. Today is the first day that I am admitting that I am in fact, an alcoholic. I want to quit drinking, just as badly as I need to, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I will take any advice, anyone has to offer.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's not easy giving up alcohol and learning to cope with problems sober, but boy oh boy is it worth it.

Do you have any support system in place? AA or another recovery program? Counseling? Friends or family who will support and encourage your sobriety? If nothing else, you'll find a lot of support and understanding here. We know how difficult it can be and we're here to offer our complete support.

I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome my friend, you are with many that have been where you are & many that still are. Relax & have a seat & read some of the threads here on this site, you will find a lot of wisdom & stories that you can connect with.

For me it is just don't pick up that first drink... its hard I know but simple at the same time. I have tried over & over & ever.... to just have a few & eventually always led back to a blackout drunk within a short period of time.

Others will be along to say hi & share there experience & hope.

Stay with us & keep on sharing, we are glad to have you here as we all support each-other in this battle of sobriety. One that can be wonderful once conquered.

Take care & all of the best in your recovery.

Cheers ~ NB
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad that you're ready to live a sober life.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey bozboz. It does feel strange in the beginning, but as least said - it's so worth it to kick it out of your life. You'll feel a little better each day, and the fog will lift.

When I joined SR I had been drinking most of my life. I never thought I'd find my way out of hell, but the people here gave me all the encouragement I needed. I wasn't alone anymore. I hope you'll feel the same, and will share more of your story with us. We're right there with you - you can do this.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you both, for responding and your advice.

I don't really know anyone who is not an alcoholic, except one, but she really likes her pills. I am thinking more along the lines of counsling instead of AA. I am better one on one, than I am in a crowd. Which is a pathetic excuse, but I get anxiety around small or large groups of people and am not sure that would be the best way to approach this. Considering this is day one for me, I will most likely be on this site all night! Thank you again for the advice and encouragement. I'm gonna need it.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn and Anna. I must having been posting my last comment while you were posting yours. It is to say the least, very strange.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Howdy neighbor. I feel you on the one on one thing. I am not a fan of crowds either but I am realizing that I am gonna have to get over that and suck it up and hit some meetings.

I was on the site all night my first night too...That was LAST NIGHT..

Tons of great info here as well as inspiring people.
Sober Mojo my friend.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Welcome bozboz and animal454. You can both do this...tough to get through at first, but when you come out the other side...it's amazing over here

lol animal 454 "sober mojo"...love that!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Sober Mojo" ha ha haaa...that's awesome.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Why not try everything until you find something that really helps you to stay sober? It's easy to find an AA meeting close by, and there is lots of information right here. Those are two good places to start. Get a plan, and get at it.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you! I know it's hard to admit that you've got a problem.

I've just made it over a month so far.. and I'm really glad of it. What's helping me the most is going to the gym and working out. Drinking lots of water and sweating it out. I've got a little calendar I printed off where I put little happy face stickers for the days I workout. I've done some real damage to my body so it feels good to take positive steps for my health. So that's my focus right now. I suppose you could do that with anything. Find a good distraction. Something you can focus on and set goals on and the alcohol isn't front and center in your mind.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Don't do aa. You aren't hopeless enough.
Best wishes on your recovery!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, BozBoz.

I'm not in AA; there are many paths to recovery. You are going to be so grateful you did this. It was such a relief for me to finally give up trying to control my drinking, muddling along through my days, obsessing over the booze all night. Life is so much more peaceful and satisfying with alcohol completely out of the picture.

Welcome to SR. Glad you found us.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I hope you find the support you need to stay sober.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Animal454 View Post
Tons of great info here as well as inspiring people.
Sober Mojo my friend.
Animal454;

Is your avatar a picture from Clockwork Orange or did you have the same sponsor I had?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Animal454;

Is your avatar a picture from Clockwork Orange or did you have the same sponsor I had?
LOL...From the movie...The Ludavego Technique was proved to be flawed so I dodged a bullet on that one..
Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by risydawn View Post
Good for you! I know it's hard to admit that you've got a problem.

I've just made it over a month so far.. and I'm really glad of it. What's helping me the most is going to the gym and working out. Drinking lots of water and sweating it out. I've got a little calendar I printed off where I put little happy face stickers for the days I workout. I've done some real damage to my body so it feels good to take positive steps for my health. So that's my focus right now. I suppose you could do that with anything. Find a good distraction. Something you can focus on and set goals on and the alcohol isn't front and center in your mind.
I spoke to a therapist yesterday, and a nutritionist, (as per suggested by the therapist.) Nutritionist told me to take Milk Thistle, to help cleanse and regenerate the liver. He also suggested L-glutamine, which helps with alcohol cravings/withdrawls, depression, sleep and anxiety. Also, he suggested something called Kudzu, which he said would help with cravings as well. It's worth a shot, so I'm going to pick it up today. I will let you know any of the benefits or side effects, (if any.) COngratulations on one month! That is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome! My advice is to listen to the people here who also know the hell of alcoholism and have beat it back with a big stick. My other advice, which you're already doing, is to get support and talk to people - join a program, talk to your dr, your spouse, a close friend, us here in SR.

Take care, I look forward to joining you in this journey
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Bozboz,
I am very much the same as you. I need to stop too and have tried and failed and failed again. I really wish you the best of luck and today is day one for me. I gotta change because it is ruining my life