Notices

coming clean - relapse

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coming clean - relapse

Hi Everyone, well I did not drink for 10 months and then thought I could have a beer. It was ok I was out and only had the one all night. However it opened up that side of mind again that longed for another. So I have slipped up and kept putting it off to come on here and confess. I am in a new relationship in which I am not quite sure where I stand and I think it just became too much for me. I have contacted my councillor and have taken today off along with the weekend to get myself back to where I was. I would really appreciate any words or support or comments.
Ring
Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Ring))) - welcome back!! I'm glad you are going to counseling, and that you came back here. For me, it helps a lot to know I'm not alone, no matter where I am in recovery.

Depending on how much you were drinking, you may want to think about getting checked out by a dr. From what I've read, withdrawal is no piece of cake, in any way, but it can be fatal so please take care of you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you made it back safely. Do be careful getting thru w/d.

You relapsed, now get back up on your feet and start over. You know the drill...
Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Just stay positive. Believe in yourself, because I do. If you need anyone to talk to send me a message.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes someone special, Ring, to admit their wrongs and you're a great person for coming here and doing so. Relapse. It happens and I have a Ph.D in it. I'm tired of it though and your truthfulness proves to me that no matter how long I can go for, as soon as I give into the temptation, my thoughts may shift back to the old habits.

You can do it! I hope to make it as long as you did. That took a lot of effort and dedication on your part and thanks for showing me that I can do it also. Now, you know what to do and what not to. Life is a daily learning experience so use what has worked for you and keep on doing it.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good that you told on yourself, ring! I once had 3 yrs. & threw it all away for 'just a glass of wine'. (Off I went for 7 years!)

Your actions scared you, and rightly so - but you took action. Be glad it didn't turn into a binge. You can get back to where you were.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you've come back and opened up Ring - welcome back!

It's one thing not to drink - but it's another to really accept that and to feel good about it.

New relationships are always tricky I think - for anyone - not only do we have to relate to someone else, with all the ups and downs there, but we want to, if not impress them, certainly put our best foot forward.

It doesn't take a genius to see that for people like us it's easy to get scared about using the A word. Of course the silly thing is we're far less likely to impress anyone when we're drinking...

I'm sorry you're struggling but I think coming back here and seeing your counsellor will really help, ring.

You did this for 9 or ten months - you can do it - you just need to tweak a few things

D
Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you came back, Ring.

It sounds like you know what was the cause of the relapse and with your counselling, you should be able to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by ring View Post
I would really appreciate any words or support or comments.
Get back on the horse. After ten months, I'm sure you know how to ride.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome home!

Hugs!

You just stopped me....from losing 5 months...... Thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ring,

Good on you for coming back and posting on the board about your relapse, it so helps me and I am sure others when you talk about it and tell us what went on. We can learn from you, I really mean that.

I still have that annoying voice telling me it would be OK to just have a couple of drinks, no that is not what the voice tells me, it says scull a couple of bottles of your favourite, get the high and enjoy it for a couple of hours then go to bed without getting into any trouble. No one will know. I will know and I would hope I would come back on this board and post what happened if I did.

So good on you for pulling yourself up and doing something about it.

Total Respect
CaiHong
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone: I think what was really amazing is how quickly it started to escalate. Really quickly I am glad I have caught myself early. Being accountable is key I think. I was keeping it to myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm glad you caught yourself too. We need you here on team Sober! Rah Rah siss boom bah
Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's 'Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi' for Ring and me LOL

D
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's great to see you back, Ring. You can do this!

Look after yourself and message me anytime. I hope all goes ok with your counsellor xxx
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Glad you made it back Ring.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

it opened up that side of mind again that longed for another
Yep..... that's what happened to me, too. I'm really glad you're back. Life isn't easy - especially relationships. I'm still working on accepting that (or more to the point, accepting myself and that it's OK if I don't always have the answers).

Being sober isn't always easy, but it's always better. Thanks for your post.....!:ghug3
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well everyone - I have been off for a week then back on for a bit and trying hard to go back to the non drinking which I was successful at for 9 months. Boy this is hard. I know I just need to do it, but so many excuses, the dramas in my life since I started drinking are increasing and I am feeling rather vunrable. I just really need to get it together and soon.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ring I can really relate, I am 9 months on the nose today sober, but I have a lot of drama, mostly from my daughters, there at the age its all-boys until they get hurt by them, sometimes I just want to drink so bad but then somehow I hang on.

Thank you for the post; it gives me chills to know how easily I can slip off this slop…

I hope you get things going in your direction soon, I really do!