Notices

I don't buy only should would know if your alcoholic

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post I don't buy only should would know if your alcoholic

I hear this all the time that only the person who has a drinking problem knows if they are an alcoholic. I've been reading online about this and watching Jersey Shore on MTV. Snooki, the girl that drinks all the time and does stupid things all the time. Well, she does not think she is one but the way she act when on alcohol and not are 2 different people.

But it does not matter if the person think they are or not. If they act, feel and behave like one then they are an alcoholic. General alcoholic suffer with depression, anxiety and addiction problem but I don't believe you can't believe born as an alcoholic like depression, anxiety an addiction.

What do you think about this subject?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're right, often it is obvious that a person is an alcoholic, but for that person to recover the only diagnosis that matters is their own.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by BadCompany
You're right, often it is obvious that a person is an alcoholic, but for that person to recover the only diagnosis that matters is their own.
I like that BC.

A person needs to recognize they have a problem in order to decide if they want to do something about or not. The self discovery that they are an alcoholic is an indicator to a person that they are in dangerous territory.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that thinking we AREN'T alcoholic is a symptom of alcoholism. It is the symptom of the disease that we thinking we don't have it! It took me a long time to see it, so I just speak for myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a disease that tries to tell me I don't have it.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

People also like to say that they are not to allow them to continue drinking irresponsibly.

Sometimes people who aren't act worse than the people who are, and the only difference is what they tell themselves.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
I agree. Telling a drunk that they are a alcoholic is a waste of time. Until they admit to their "inner most self" that they are an alcoholic, the tools that alcoholics use to recover will simply not help.

"Most drunks don't have what it takes to be an alcoholic".
(Clarence Snyder)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

IMO admitting the problem isn't that big of a deal for a lot of alcoholics. I think most may tell other people that they are not but inside they know. Being labeled an alcoholic is, often times, a hard concept.