Notices

Gianna needs a group: day 1 through ? let's count together

Old 01-01-2004, 09:14 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

OK, 11:10 pm here and apron's off, broom's in the closet, Pine-Sol is all gone, mop is hanging up to dry.

Just kidding.

I did do a little cleaning today, but primarily made a point of playing with the kids (how many times can I play Memory and Go Fish? geesh), walking the dog, and pacing the floor telling myself not to go down the the 24-hr. convenience store to get some beer. I even threw out the last pint of milk, so that I'd have an excuse to go down there. Is that crazy, or what?!?! (No - just that alcoholic idiot that still resides on my shoulder. I've asked her to leave so many times, you'd think she'd get tired of me.)

But I made it!

Good New Year!
Jay
Old 01-01-2004, 10:04 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
spirit

congratulations - so well done, and now you can go to black coffee hahaha

hugs
kath
Old 01-02-2004, 04:59 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Gianna, Kath, Jay,

Congrats on the new year. This is really good! Sounds like we've almost made it through the silly season.

Hey Jay, I clean when I'm a bit down, it improves my mood like you wouldn't believe. A friend came over and was literally speechless to see my townhouse (he knew me when I lived with my brothers and you could never see the floor). I still like to create mess, but not as much as I used to. I love the idea of doing 5 minutes of cleaning now and then (rather than inspection driven 2 hour marathon sessions). For some reason it actually hurts to clean for longer than that. I mean I *really* hate cleaning, but equally I love the house being spotless. Luckily 5 minutes here and there is enough to do it when you live alone. Hey I'd love to hear more about your curry experiences Jay. I've even seriously considered offering to work for free at one of my local Indians just to see how they go about cooking. Problem is they would see an important revenue source dwindle away - well when I'm flush with cash I eat way to many curry takeaways; or shout whole groups of friends to curry. My brother and I love hot curries and we talk about the 'curry glow', where after an especially spicy curry your whole body flushes with warmth, and you literally glow. Hard to describe unless you've experienced it.

And Kath, out of five herbs, only two have survived from my seedlings. Basil and Chilli. They are growing like weeds. Oh well live and learn. I still wish they'd grow faster though. Oh, I keep forgetting to let you know about the secret of fried rice: use basmati rice and store it overnight in the fridge. Believe me, I stuffed up fried rice for eons before I finally made the one to beat all fried rice, and I had always made the mistake of using the cheaper rice (even the Australian 'Long grain', where you have a window of about ten seconds before it goes from al dente to mush). I buy the 5kg bags from the local indian store. Which lasts me for eons, unless my 6ft six brother stays and makes mountains of rice for his curries.

Oh well sorry - just babbling here - today was certainly boring, 'pecially when you consider the highlight was deciding to have Earl Grey instead of English Breakfast.

I suppose being bored is crucial to recovery. I mean you are literally forced to find something interesting to do. The only problem is I think I sway from interesting to boring now, way to often - I'm waiting for it all to subside. Just hopin' I don't turn into a mean old timer. *Watch out for the firm but fair but actually not fair, actually not quite firm old timer, who'll wink at you and say: "Have the Earl Grey you idiot, unless you do that, don't bother coming back".

I sipped my English breakfast watching the birds chirp this morning, lol.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:03 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

you can do it G. Just keep trying. rooting for you.
Love
Lin
Old 01-02-2004, 08:01 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Well, Panadol, never did like the Earl Grey (Lapsoung Souchong is my fav). But I do love High Tea! And really hot curry. When's dinner? You sound like a great cook!

I would like to lose a few pounds here, but I don't think I will make it much of a priority until I really have some sober time.

Lin, thanks for the encouragement; I can always use it. Have you seen Louise? I will try to catch up with her later.

Jay, yes it is too funny about the milk, although I can really imagine it. Speaking of wierdness, someone I know in AA was talking about hiding her alcohol, and she kept a secret stash, get this, in the iron! The jig was up when her husband caught her drinking from the iron...

I'm with Kath-if you have to drink your coffee black to stay out of that store, well, so be it .

Hugs, Gianna
Old 01-02-2004, 08:08 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Growing Up

Gianna - yo baby, you sound so good!

How's it going? Are you going to do the Recovery by Choice book with us? Did your copy arrive yet?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:14 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally posted by panadolsandwich

Oh well sorry - just babbling here - ]
Hi Mark, so, what's new?? just kidding. I love reading your posts.

Hi Gianna, Kath, Lin, Denise, 2stop, everyone else,

I feel great today! Kids are at daycare, hubby is at work, I've got the whole house to myself for 2 hours!! I'm being nostalgic and blasting old Squeeze from the 80's. Feel like I'm in college (oops, that could be bad - I drank a lot then). Funny how at 39 I still feel 22, even with all the drinking I've done since then. May that's *why* I kept drinking - never got past the mental age of 22. Oh well, someone must be looking out for me to be feeling so good (did I just say that?)

Speaking of herbs, I finally found a good spot for herbs in my garden last summer. The basil took over! Made lots of pesto. I grew habanero peppers (scotch bonnet peppers) for the first time, and had an abundance. Didn't know what to do with them all.

I made pork vindaloo for new year's eve dinner - 'twas fantastic, although could have been a bit spicier for my taste. Not spicy enough unless my nose runs. maybe I'll post the recipe and get that SR cookbook thread going.

Gianna, hope you are still doing so great! Everyone else sound wonderful. where's Eddie??? Gotta call him up on his "slow burn" thread, he's got me a little worried.

Well, enjoy your tea everyone. I'm having black coffee (not in bed though) (Squeeze lyrics reference for those not familiar)

Jay
Old 01-02-2004, 08:19 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

[she kept a secret stash, get this, in the iron! The jig was up when her husband caught her drinking from the iron...

]
LOLOLOL

Too funny!

My husband found a bottle of wine hidden in the basement among crumbling plaster (or whatever the 1914 basement walls were made out of here) and old suitcases. And he still was trying to understand why I think I have a drinking problem....

Jay
Old 01-02-2004, 04:03 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
spirit

morning all,

gianna, booze in the iron, now that is amzing, even though i seldom use my iron, (always washing not often ironing,) i would never have thought of putting the booze in that. what would be the point, how much would it hold haha. poor lady shouldnt laugh, pretty sad really. i never hid booze, never kept it around long enough to, hid it in my tummy haha.

jay you sound happy, isnt it great when there is 'no-one in the house'. happens rarely for me too, and i walk in and say out loud "there is no one in my house!!!!". i have even been known to ring hubby and tell him haha, and say, "not even you" haha

herbs, my basil, all types are going crazy, the sage is a little tired but should pick up and the coriander has gone to god, like all good corianders haha. Mark i think i tried basmati, still didnt work, given it is going to 30 today maybe i should put some out on a tray in the sun to really dry out haha. i wonder how that would work???? mark you might just need to send me some haha.
or fly down and make some and while here do a quick 5 min clean of the house for me haha. oh and english breakfast is always the go!! earl grey is a later time of day drink haha

i only ever drank tea (english brekky) when i was pregnant with my youngest, he is today a tea nut. we only really buy tea for him haha. so mark you better keep an eye on that haha.

hugs to you all
kath
Old 01-03-2004, 05:33 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, you all sound like your doing so good, onward we go.

Oh Gianna, laughing, drinking from an iron, hahaha ,that would have been priceless to see, not really that funny, but it is.

Hi Lin, Kath, Tammie, pan the sandwich guy, and everyone else, keep on going. Kath awesome on the no cig thing, that's a real tough one to beat too, ah the strength you've gotten, so so good to see.

Lots of love and hugs........Denise
Old 01-03-2004, 05:42 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Yes, where is Eddie? (((((Eddie))))) are you there?

MG, I have not ordered the book . I will do that today, but you guys go ahead-I will have to catch up. Can't believe it is back to work on Monday. I am much better at doing things like ordering books at my office-work procrastination you know.

(((((Mark))))) I always love your posts! The recent one on another thread was a classic. Your personality comes through in your excellent writing. Btw, where is Rotten? (actually, I think he is still in Finland?)

(((((Kath))))), coriander can go away from my life altogether. Tastes like soap to half the world, the other half loves it. Actually there is some scientific thinking that people indeed do taste it differently. I assume you are talking 30 celsius? what is that in farenheit? Got to learn this stuff someday...

(((((Jay))))) I wish you would come over and cook vindaloo at my house. I like it so hot that my eyes water. I am with you on the recipe book. After I finish this, I am making celeri remoulade as an accompaniment for steak and potatoes tonight. We are saying goodbye to the tree. Your story about the wine was also funny. When I am drinking, I cannot see how bizarre that behavior is either. I don't think it is possible for a normal person to ever understand what we go through about alcohol. Of course, if I follow it through, I can never understand how someone can stop at one drink, or worse, not finish it!! The few times I ever did that it required such an act of will, and I regretted it for days later.

Hugs,
Gianna
Old 01-03-2004, 06:43 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Growing Up

Does everyone know about "the book" Gi referred to?

This forum is so huge, that it's easy to miss information. A few of us are discussing the book, Recovery By Choice, by Martin Nicolaus (available at unhooked.com) which is an excellent workbook for people quitting addicitons. The thread is under the name of the book in the Alcoholism forum. Check it out. Or not! Whatever!

Gianna, you could just peep on the discussion and see if you still want the book - its totally up to you hon!

I have never had vindaloo. Then again I live in the sticks.... WHat is it?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:14 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just got back from blubbering my eyes out watching Cold Mountain. Sorry, not sure that Aussies would understand it. The emotion in the movie, yes....but being about the civil war era, unless you are a world history buff, you'd kind of wonder why americans were fighting each other. But, then again, does any war need explaining; or even make sense? Oh, yeah - this is Sober Recovery - not a place to discuss political views.

Gianna, you'll have to post your recipe for celeri remoulade! The only remoulade Im familiar with is the spicy N'Awlin's (creole/cajun) type.

mountaingirl, vindaloo is a mix of spices used in Indian cuisine - and often very hot (spicy). Besides the taste I love the word!

Finishing drinks - that's a good one. I was always appalled leaving a restaurant and passing empty tables with 1/2 full glasses of wine or beer. What were those people thinking?!?! Well, they weren't thinking, because they weren't alcoholics!

Peace y'all,
jay
Old 01-03-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Growing Up

ohh, You saw Cold Mountain? I don't usually go for Kidman flicks, but I love Jude Law. I have to see that movie. You know what was really cute? Love Actually. Very sweet movie, just don't bring your teenager - nudity and all - I was mortified and so was my daughter. She covered her eyes, kindof...
Old 01-03-2004, 05:00 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I usually don't go for Kidman flicks either...but she's earned my respect over the last few years. I love Renee Zellweger tho (*Not* in - what was that silly diary movie?) Jude Law! That was who that was. i didn't stay for credits, and new I recognized his face - but he looked a lot different thatn other movies (very sexy tho - heehee). I'll have to check out Love Actually. Heard good things about it. I see another thread coming - SR movie reviews!

Take care,
jay
Old 01-05-2004, 08:42 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Growing Up

Gianna!!!
How are you doing at work!
Shhhh, come and say hi, we won't tell.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:54 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hey Gianna!! I hope you are doing well!! I haven't been in this post in awhile.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Hi Jay, MG and Moontime,

Jay: Celeri Remoulade: julienne a cerlery root, sprinkle a little salt and the juice of half a lemon over it to soften it for about an hour. Then add good mayo (homemade is best) and dijon mustard and white pepper to taste. This is the simple way I learned in France. There are more complicated recipes on Epicurious.com. And I will give Cold Mountain another look, because of the Civil War stuff. Reading a lot about it these days since I spend so much time in the area around Virginia...

Speaking of which, how is C-ville (((((Moontime)))))? I got one of my presents (a wonderful, obscure art book) from the little bookshop in the mall downtown that I love. You are in a great town. Thanks for hopping over here to say Hi.

MG, well, I am back at work and am in procrastination mode, but that will change tomorrow. First day back I am always dragging my tail. still have the mail to sort at home.... and then I have guests all week, so I guess I will be busy. Yak, I hate being back in this city. I so much prefer the country. Guess I can say that after spending so many years here. It all seems so much more complex in the city. Too many distractions. But! I think I can stay away from a drink tonight, so I am immensely happy about that.

Later, Gianna
Old 01-06-2004, 05:56 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hey Gianna!!!
C'ville has been great, I love this town. Being a transplanted NY'er things roll a lil slow and that's exactly how I like it. This friday-Sunday it was between 60 and 70 degrees outside. Winter?? Who needs winter!!! Just kidding it's back to the 40's today. Anyhow, keep up the good work. You've touched many more people than you will ever know.

Peace & Recovery
Moontime.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:26 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hi Gianna,
Thanks for the remoulade recipe. Sounds interesting! We love a good steak now and then - filet mignon - only the best for me. I can't handle steak that is tough or has a lot of fat on it. Have you ever made your own mayo? I once made a curry mayo to go with sea bass. It was very good.

What did you mean by "We are saying goodbye to the tree" a few posts back? Just curious.
I know what you mean about being back at work - me too after a 2 week break. I'm finally in the swing of things, and it's almost the weekend again. I do silly things like stay up really late, and hang around in PJs all day when I don't have to work - then it's a big shock to have to adjust to "5:30am wake-up and get organized." We finallyy got a little snow here last Sunday (3-4 in. woopee.) and I went outside with the kids in my pjs and boots! They thought it was so funny. Got pics of the kids making angels (I didn't participate in that fun)

Hi Moontime, I'm not sure I've "met" you before, but nice that you are here!

-j