Notices

21 days, and physically beat

Old 10-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days, and physically beat

I'm entering my 3rd week of sobriety, and I find I'm feeling physically worse that most times when I was drinking. I'm taking vitamins, drinking a lot of tea and water, doing everything I'm supposed to, but just feeling horrible. Is this something people have found as common?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TOREINNE,

I can relate to what you are going through. Today is day 17 for me and the first day I have felt normal. I had been exercising every day, taking amino acids and vitamins and still feeling horrible. For me, it has been the insomnia. Recommend you papmer yourself in some way (warm bath, music, massage, etc.) because you really need to pat yourself on the back! Despite not feeling better, you are getting better. It courageous and it is commendable that you are not drinking
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, I felt better as days went by, but we are all different.

Have you talked to your dr?

Hopefully you will feel better soon.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TOREINNE, I am about 55 days sober and still feel physically drained most days. I too work out every day, take vitamins, eat right, hydrate etc. but still feel "not quite right" yet. I also relate to tanja... I believe my physicality is related directly to my insomnia. Do you sleep well? I've been struggling with insomnia since I stopped drinking and it was actually getting better for a few days, but last night I was right back to waking every few hours. If it is a sleep issue, maybe a doctor can help. Regardless, I still feel mentally and emotionally WAY better than I did when drinking... keep up the good work!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I'm on day 23 and I feel pretty good, but up until probably day 15 or so I felt run-down, irritable and a little like I was living in a body that's twenty years older than mine. If you don't start feeling better soon though, you might want to talk to a doctor. Drinking covers up a lot of physical ailments and you might have something going on that you didn't know about until you were sober long enough to feel it.

--Fenris.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Insomnia is huge for me. Knowing that I'm an addictive personality, I don't want to go on sleeping pills. I should add different types of exercise, but I do know that my body is wringing toxins out, but I wish I knew how long it would take!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Toreinne... my insomnia issues are outrageous... and I've tried every medication both pharmaceutical and natural... nothing helps. I don't take anything now (I also have an addictive personality, hence the alcoholism LOL) but I try to go to bed early (asleep by 10) so that I can gain some good hours before my 2-3am waking. I am sure things will get better with time. Just keep with it, catch sleep when you can and enjoy your sobriety. I firmly believe the sleep issues will eventually work themselves out and I just take each day one at a time.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I got real sick after about 3 weeks in, so it was hard for me to gauge how I was supposed to feel for quite a while. Hang in there, you'll feel better.

As far as the insomnia goes, I think there is a thread around here somewhere with common ways to deal with insomnia. My insomnia seems to be on a cycle still though, I've just kind of been trying to live with it. I have a lot of homework to do right now anyways, so I don't have a problem staying up to work on that.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Toreinne

I was a drinker for 20 years and a daily all day drinker for the last 5 or so of those, so it actually took me more than a few weeks to 'feel good'....

If you haven't seen a Dr yet, it's probably a good idea - this is probably normal stuff of your mind and body healing but at least you can get yourself checked out and set your mind at ease

Congratulations on 3 weeks - welcome to SR
D