Notices

Hello :)

Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello :)

So I feel like my drinking as of late(the last couple of months) has been getting a bit too out of control. I tried stopping numerous times but it only last a week or two. I always have the assumption that when I go to the bar I will prove that I will only have ONE drink but then things get out of control. I feel like alcohol is a virus and I really want to get rid of it.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Rob)))) - welcome to SR!! You are most definitely not alone. Lots of people here know exactly how you feel..some are still struggling, some are in recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, Rob - you're in good company. You're not alone with the problem any more!

I spent decades trying to use willpower to have 'just one or two". It never, ever worked. Each time I drank it was a disaster - dangerous and unpredictable. I had a hard time letting go of the idea that drinking was fun & exciting. I was so sure I needed it to get by. In the end, it almost destroyed me. I had to stop or die.

I know how hard it is to let go - but if you share your thoughts with us it'll help. We're here to support you and give you courage. You can do this.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR Rob...it's a good place with a lot of support. I've gone through what you described in your post, trying to control, moderate, quit, or change in some way how, how much and when I drank. Nothing ever worked for long on my own. With AA, my sponsor and this site I've spent more days sober this year than drunk, and I haven't been able to say that in thirteen years. It's not a perfect solution because it relies on me doing things I don't always want to do, but when I do what I'm supposed to do, I don't drink and things get better in my life. If you're unable to control your drinking, you are possibly at that point where you'll never be able to control it again and abstinence is your only solution. That's up to you to decide. Glad you're here and keep coming back to read and post.

--Fenris.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Many people here have tried, unsuccessfully, to moderate their drinking. I discovered that I wasn't interested in moderation because I frankly wasn't too interested in drinking a responsible amount. The solution for me was to quit altogether (easier said than done)

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to SR! Poke around and read some of the stories here and see if anything resounds with you.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RobRoxx
You'll certainly find a lot of people here who understand

Welcome to SR
D
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LSZ

Man I know how you feel

Originally Posted by RobRoxx View Post
So I feel like my drinking as of late(the last couple of months) has been getting a bit too out of control. I tried stopping numerous times but it only last a week or two. I always have the assumption that when I go to the bar I will prove that I will only have ONE drink but then things get out of control. I feel like alcohol is a virus and I really want to get rid of it.
I HATE what alcohol has done to my life. I do think it is essentially a poison no matter what minor benefits might come from it.

As motivation last night I watched some real funny Youtubes of drunks (and scary ones frankly) falling all over themselves, etc.

My habit is about 6 to 8 beers a day. I figure I get about "TWO" hours of pleasure from it. Then I order the Large Sub with fries that gets to the house around 9 or 10PM. I go to "sleep". Then I start the process of waking around midnight to go to bathroom and drink water, repeat ever hour. Horrible night, horrible life. Then I will sometimes drink 12 beers on a weekend night and the next day will suck, horrible weekend horrible life. I am on day 4 of quitting. (I spend ten years on the wagon once before) and I was not drinking for 6 months in 2010.

I am trying to associate the very idea of beer with the negatives I just listed. (Feeling horrible, eating horrible, getting fat, etc) Rather than any fun or relief it might provide. I think we need to do that, make that powerful mental association and always think about it.

lastly, I think for me this needs to be a permanent choice. The last time I always told myself I could drink some beer now and then if I wanted to, as long I kept going with the weight and exercise, and did it in moderation. Eventually I went all the way back though.