Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For those of you who had years of sobriety and fell off the wagon.

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a family member who quit drinking and was sober for over 25 years. One day, he decided he didn't have any more responsibilities in life and really missed drinking. So, at a social event, he picked up the bottle and had a few drinks. For the next 6 months or so he drank off and on, a few drinks here, and a few there. His drinking increased but he was still able to function. After about 6 months, he was playing with his grandkids like he always did. He was taking the kids around the farm with the pickup truck; the kids riding in the back. His daughter stopped him and told him she didn't want the kids in the back of truck while "Grandpa" was drinking. He stopped dead in his tracks. He rememberd why drinking wasn't worth anything and especially not worth losing play time with the grandkids. He had no guilt, shame or remorse. He simply quit that afernoon and hasn't touched a drop since. That was 4 years ago. I think it is so easy to feel guilty for drinking after years of sobriety- that all those years seem wasted and that it is easy to feel such failure after having done so great at staying sober. I asked him how it seemed to be easy for him to quit the second time. He said "Twenty five years ago I quit for my wife, children, business and all the responsibilites in my life, and now, I quit for me". I am currently 3 years sober. I think of that statement everytime I have a desire to take a drink.....
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank you for this post. You said it all!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you tobefree. It's so true - we have to do it for ourselves. I quit for my son years ago and it didn't "take". This time it's for me, & it's going to be forever.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Thank you tobefree.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, great post. Thanks for taking the time to share!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post!!! Although my story is on a much shorter time frame, I quit for 4 months due to my dwindling work efforts and minor legal problems and then proceeded to drink on February 7th of this year. I woke up the next day and just realized that in order for me to be the best I can and be dependable and support the ones I love I needed to give up the drink. Since that Monday, I have not touched a drop of alcohol and have had no desire to do so. Thanks once again for the post tobefree4me, and I wish you and your family member the best life has to offer!!