Notices

Has This Happened to Anyone.. Still Shaky.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has This Happened to Anyone.. Still Shaky.

I have 70 days of sobriety. I drank for 13 years, the last 3 I drank very heavy. Vodka only, sometimes right out of the bottle. I went to a detox for 5 days then to a treatment center for 28 days. I feel great for the most part but yesterday at the restaurant I started to hold some plates in my left hand and I thought that I was going to drop everything, it felt as though my whole left arm was going to go crazy. When I was drinking this use to happen, back then I would just take a drink to fix the problem. I am 39 and in good health. Does this go away and how long does it take?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I wouldn't think, after 70 days of sobriety, that what happened had anything to do with quitting drinking. Of course, I could be wrong. If it happens again, I think I'd see a doctor. Could be caused by several different things, I would think.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Suki, I was thinking the same thing. Just hoping that I have not done irreverasable damage.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Roscoe, Were you dehydrated or very hungry at the time? Simple dehydration or low blood sugar can cause mild trembling of the extremities.

I agree, though, if it repeats then I'd see a doctor.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Deserto, thanks for the reply. I was not dehydrated or hungry. It was just like one of the withdrawl symptoms that I would have. About 4 hours of not having a drink it was like my hands would not work. So bad that one time I was driving and turning right onto an entrance ramp and I thought that I was gonna crash because I could not control my hands and arms to turn the car.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Roscoe,

You definitely want to see a Doc about this. It could be anything from not having enough protein to a vitamin/mineral issue to MS to a pinched nerve from sleeping crooked - too many variables!

Please go see your Doc. If it is nerve damage of some sort, it may not be alcohol related and even if it is, best to catch it now.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roscoe
Welcome

Why not see a Dr anyway - put your mind at ease?

D
Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to see a DR. Gonna make an appt. tomorrow. It just seems as though Doctors do not know much about alcoholism and the effects. That is my experience when I was seeking help before going into detox and a treatment center.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Roscoe,

Sadly, most don't have a clue. That said, if there is something physically going on with your nerves, while a Doc may not make a connection to alcohol abuse (and the details/expectations of your time sober), they will likely be able to rule out a host of other stuff and narrow down the potential root causes (and possible solutions).
Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

That sensation could have been about 25 different things from a pinched nerve to a panic attack. You should have a doctor check it out.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Our bodies remember things. Get it checked, but in the meantime, relax & breathe. You're sober today!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

My blood sugar was way out of whack for a while after I quit drinking. I also had a problem keeping my iron up. Could be something like that and a trip to the doc would be able to answer questions like that. Also, taking a drink might have stabilized the symptoms like it masked for me when it turned out I had a severe spinal cord issue.