Notices

Hour by hour

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well guys I did it. Day one. I get to wake up tomorrow and feel good about myself. That will be a nice change!

I really appreciate everyone who gave advice and encouragement. I needed it today... it was tough going.

If we knew how hard it could be to quit drinking, would we have ever started?

I can't believe how tired and thirsty (dehydrated) I am. This is the point of the evening where I'd be kicking into higher gear with the vodka and zoning out to the Itunes... and then going until 3 am or beyond. Instead, I'm going to take out the trash and crawl into bed and sleep well.

Can I be proud for a moment? I'm particularly proud that I did this on a day when my wife is out of town. Normally that would be an excuse to really tie one on without having to worry about recriminations. But now I get to pick her up from the airport tomorrow and not have to look and feel hung over or feeling secretly ashamed.

I'm grateful for your support. I needed it today and you gave it -- thank you. Perhaps I could have done this on my own -- but I know I wouldn't have done it on my own. There'd have been beers in the cooler at the beach and cocktails while I cooked dinner, if I cooked dinner. But I didn't want to let you all down.

I've been thinking all day about the word well-being. Being-well. Not "well-doing". Being. Rode some tough waves today but now I feel at peace.

I'm glad I have this thread to come back to to remember how tough Day one can be. The big lesson today? It got better. The worst part wasn't being sober; it was being hung over.

I feel good. I think I'll try this again tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

Your post made me very happy! I remember my last attempt at sobriety and how shaky and sick I was for a few days. But I was determined to beat this thing, and by golly, I did! You can too. You've got a wonderful attitude - that will get you far. Be good to yourself and your doggie. And remember, we're all pulling for you! :ghug3
Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well done
Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1. Thanks for posting! Today is my day 1 and it really helped me to read this! Enjoy your Day 2.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family, sadsoul! The support here is fantastic!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Deserto,

Your post just made my day. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011 View Post
Congrats on Day 1. Thanks for posting! Today is my day 1 and it really helped me to read this! Enjoy your Day 2.
Thanks Sadsoul! I really found taking it hour by hour helped, for me at least. Looking back on yesterday (and how nice to be able to look back on it with clarity) I recognize that the desire to drink wasn't persistent all day, just very intense at certain moments. Make it through those moments and you can make it through the day. Stay busy, drink lots of water, and take some vitamins -- that was all advice that helped me.

I'm already enjoying Day 2, and it's not even 10 am here. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Deserto, your day one success really helps me! It encourages me to stay sober by making me remember how I felt in my first few days sober. It reminds me of what I never want to go thru again. Thank you for your help!