Notices

this is strange... happiness

Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile this is strange... happiness

Hey hey,

So I was outside of work on a smoke break. I had to pause because I had a strange feeling/mood. I wasn't worrying about anything including my own defects, or thinking of my past relationship gone sour (for the first time in weeks.) It occurred to me that I think... I was feeling happy... and that I might have something resembling a smile on my face

I ended up leaving work and heading to meet with my sponsor at my home group. That went well and from there I went into an 8 o'clock meeting. A lot of the group consisted of men from a long term treatment facility which I think is awesome because the variety of stories is amazing. Anyway since there were so many people, the discussion leader decided we should all go around and say what we were doing at a meeting on a Saturday night. All of the experiences that everyone shared really put a lot in perspective for me. It brought me back to my happiness feeling from earlier in the day.

On the way home I started thinking about what I would have been doing if I wasn't in sobriety. How little control I'd have over my entire day. Either it would have started with a hangover from getting wasted last night. Or I would have been mad that I had to work while everyone is drinking and watching football, and thinking of nothing else than getting to the bar after work. Most likely it would have been a combination of those two scenarios.

It's days like today that remind me why I am moving forward in sobriety. To be able to feel content with who I am and appreciate the smaller things that make life enjoyable. I just wanted to share my good day because as much as I've been on an emotional roller coaster, things are looking up. For today I can say that it really does get better!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Thanks for sharing, it really helps reading good experiences in sobriety.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by simplex View Post
I had to pause because I had a strange feeling/mood. I wasn't worrying about anything including my own defects, or thinking of my past relationship gone sour (for the first time in weeks.) It occurred to me that I think... I was feeling happy... and that I might have something resembling a smile on my face
Ah, i remember the day i had that strange feeling. . .i was leaving a meeting, and realized i was smiling, for no reason, driving down the road. I can still picture where i was. I could not identify the feeling, then i realized it was happiness. I don't recall the last time, if ever, i truly felt happy. Today it is my normal state of being. A complete psychic change has occurred, as a result of the spiritual awakening i have had from doing the steps.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right on. I'm happy for you.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your good news with us...
Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Some would say you are having a "Pink cloud". I would say you are experiencing the "Promises".
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you...that is really something to look forward to!
I get glimpses of that happiness just in my my measly three days without drinking..just being able to see things clearly and respond to things soberly makes me feel proud. But I'm looking forward to just feeling "happy" and not worried about everything little thing, and the future. Good for you!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
But I'm looking forward to just feeling "happy" and not worried about everything little thing, and the future.
I used to pray for hitting the lottery jackpot so I could be happy. Now I just pray to be happy.