Notices

Hello

Old 10-08-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Several days this week I've downed countless beers and a bottle of Jim Beam. I don't know if I qualify as an alcoholic however I certainly seem to be slipping down that path. Depression is facilitating the drinking, I've curtailed my exercising habit and everything is going nowhere fast.

I should whine some more, eh?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gourd

If you think depression is your fundamental problem have you considered seeing a counsellor - I think most people here will tell you alcohol's probably the worst thing you can throw at depression.

You'll find a lot of support encouragement and ideas here - SR helped m,e turn my life around.
Welcome

D
Old 10-08-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well NOT being an alcoholic is a very good thing, but it doesn't hurt to take a reality check on yourself. I don't believe anyone here can tell you if you are or aren't. Only you truly know that. But if you are beginning to question your drinking pattern, I'm glad you stopped in this forum!

So welcome my friend. If you feel the need, go ahead and whine on . There's nothing wrong with letting it out, and this is a great place for it!

-Ryan
Old 10-08-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Does it really matter if you fit some kind of definition of being an alcoholic? I was at the point where you are now and I let things keep progressing for quite a while. Like you said things were going nowhere fast and the depression and drinking were facilitating one another. The alcohol gave me the illusion of happiness for a short time but then in order to keep that feeling going I had to increase my use.
I'd say if you can see that the drinking is negatively impacting your life then it is time to stop. If your life situation is causing increased drinking it will only make it worse to continue down that path.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Gourd!

I've had periods of depression in my life too and it really can pull the rug out from under you. I must say, though, that alcohol took my depression to a whole new level (anxiety, too). Some days I could hardly deal with the littlest things and only a drink made it better.

I think it's great that you're here and willing to consider that alcohol may be a problem for you. There are stages of alcoholism, and obviously the sooner we recognize it, the better. I think you'll figure it out. Just know that there's a lot of support here if you need it!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. When you live in a rural town and are surrounded by heavy drinkers and alcoholics who accept chronic drinking and sometimes even provoke you to drink, it's hard not to give in at times.

Well, today is a new day and once I get back into excersizing, we'll see what happens. Time for a cup of coffee.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's amazing how clouds of depression can disappear once sobriety is achieved.