SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I've just joined (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/238164-ive-just-joined.html)

smudge1 10-07-2011 03:28 PM

I've just joined

How can this site help me?

juststopit 10-07-2011 03:48 PM

welcome smudge.

I find it helpful to just check in and hear from/speak to others who are going through the same things I am. It is nice to have 24/7 access to a place where I can share what I am feeling, good or bad. I find coming here forces me to be honest with myself about the difficulties I am facing and how well I am dealing (or not dealing) with them.

Thats how SR has helped me, I am sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Good luck to you.

tanja 10-07-2011 03:51 PM

Smudge,

I am only on day 12 of sobriety. This web site has helped me because of others that have the same problems. I realize that I am not alone and so "unique". You can get emotional support and very good practical advice on quitting any addiction. Reaching out and feeling comfortable with others certainly helps.

ddrayer 10-07-2011 03:54 PM

Hey Smudge,

I am only 6 days in but without being able to log on here and get support (this has got to be the most supportive online community since Al Gore invented gravity) has been the only reason I have made it this far. I had some health concerns and people were supportive. In addition, I have found people love to help with suggestions, experiences, and advice. Keep on keeping on.

Dee74 10-07-2011 03:54 PM

Hi and welcome smudge :)

I encourage you to look around - read and posts as much as you like.

SR really helped me - it was great to know I wasn't alone - and it was great to find people who understood and who would give me support and ideas about what to do next.

I hope you'll stick around and share more of your story :)
D

MemphisBlues 10-07-2011 08:28 PM

Well, for me, I was goggling benzo withdrawals and getting scared out of my wits. I had just detoxed in the hospital from by booze and benzo rampage, could barely walk, couldn't talk, couldn't really read a sentence, couldn't stumble out of the condo to score a pack of smokes, and the sunlight hurt my eyes.

That's after a month of not using the computer because logging on was too difficult.

So I started reading. Then I started posting. Then I started to hit AA meetings after two or three months, when I could walk without the cement feeling it was like sponge beneath my feet.

Then I got addicted to SR!

I need to read of others struggling with addiction, the success stories and the relapses. It keeps me sober. And I need to post about my experience in hopes that it might help someone else. And the most important lesson I learned here was that I'm not "terminally unique." Oh, believe me, there's no one on this planet of 7 billion smucks like me, but when it comes to benzos and booze, I'm not alone. And what I went through to get sober wasn't unique, either. Others have trod the hell I went through.

I needed to hear that and still do.

My 10-day stint in the hospital ended Oct. 8, 2010.

least 10-08-2011 01:33 AM

The support here is incredible! :)

northwoods 10-08-2011 03:52 AM

Day 4 w/no alcohol for me and this site has helped me a lot so far simply by allowing me to talk about my situation. It made me feel a lot better! It's comforting to know that there are folks who understand exactly what I am going through.

Zebra1275 10-08-2011 05:58 AM

This site can help you, help yourself.

Just signing up and becoming a member is not going to keep you sober, that takes action on your part.