Notices

Anger issues

Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger issues

Hey. I'm new to this site. I've been lurking here for a while, but didn't decide to register until now. I would first like to thank the people who have posted their experiences with addiction on here. They really have helped me make the decision to stop abusing alcohol. I am 2 weeks sober. It has been a rocky road so far. I'm over the withdrawals and really working on the mental part of being a sober person. The main problem I'm having is with extreme anger and rage. I'm sure this is normal to some degree, but I'm REALLY having a problem with it. I find myself exploding for little or no reason at all, ALL the time. My very supportive GF is getting pretty sick of walking on eggshells and I can't blame her. My question for you all is - Was anger a real problem for you when you quit drinking? If it was, for how long? I realize that I am in the infant stages of sobriety, and that I have a long way to go, I just want an idea of how long this anger may last. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome IceGiant

I think irritability and anger - rage even - is pretty common. It was certainly part of my experience - certainly for a few weeks

I tried to remember my mind and body needed time to heal - and to try and not take out my frustration on others.

If you, or your partner, is concerned by it tho it might be worth considering speaking to your Dr or a counsellor?

D
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hi, IceGiant. Welcome to SR. Yeah, I was very emotional in early recovery. Mine wasn't so much anger as just being extremely emotional. I'd cry at the drop of a hat for seemingly no reason. I'm wondering what you are doing for your recovery other than just not drinking? Are you seeing a counselor or a therapist? Have you tried any AA meetings or checked into Smart Recovery or AVRT? Just white knuckling it is tough and you really need an outlet where you can express your feelings with those who understand because they've been where you are.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I held in a lot during my drinking days, when I got sober I started expressing myself better, this sometimes meant yeling without thinking first, almost like an instinct.

Things did get better, we all have different lengths of time but after 6 monhs things really started getting better but I was able to control outbursts and extreme anger in a lot shorter time.

Congrats on the 2 weeks, thats great, keep workin on things, it gets a lot better...
Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 4 of being sober and it has sure been an emotional roller coaster! Not just anger though it runs the entire gamut. But I would get angry when I was drinking also, just thinking negative thoughts and being bitter. The real emotion that I have feeling more and more of in the last 4 days which seems unfamiliar is happiness. For so very long the happiness I knew came from the bottle, not it is a totally different kind. The better kind! Its like I know I am finally on the right path now.