Notices

It's Friday....

Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Friday....

Friday, Friday was my big drinking night.

It's how I escaped for awhile, escaped the stress and pain of the week. This week it's been a tough one.

How do you cope? How do you escape?

A bottle of vodka sitting here and a pub a 5 minute walk away.

This is harder than I thought!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi KeepFighting,

Any way you can get that bottle out of "here" (wherever "here" is?). I know that would be an overwhelming temptation for me. Can you just pour it down the drain and toss the empty?

Best wishes for this weekend.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel ya on the Friday issue!!
I decided to find an AA meeting instead of being alone with my thoughts, turns out there's one not two minutes from me, even closer than the nearest strore or bar lol.
Ill be there tonight, maybe you should try a meeting too.
Best of luck!!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I'm going to an AA meeting tonight. Is that a possibility for you? I think it's a good idea to get out and be around other people (not at the pub, though)...otherwise we tend to isolate and spend too much time in our heads (never a really good place for an alcoholic/addict). And I agree with Aegian...getting rid of the vodka would be a good move.

It's hard now, but it does get easier. Stay strong.

--Fenris.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KeepFighting,

Please keep fighting! I was into that friday drinking habit and it was hard to break. I tried to "think it through" and find other ways to reward myself. A warm bath, good movie, good book, nice meal, anything you enjoy. Try and find another way to reward yourself (because it really is not a reward, but more like self torture) and on saturday you will be like "wow, I dodged a bullet". It makers it easier the next time friday rolls around.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Just to let you know. I don't think I am an alcoholic. Just I feel I have a problem. Check my other thread for more info. I've decided to see how long I can go without alcohol.

I am 5 days in. I am finding it hard though. I mean everything for the last few years in my life has revolved around it.

I think I am going to spend tonight browsing around the net and playing a few video games. Should keep me occupied

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome KeepFighting
Lots of great advice here

I found the second Friday easier than the first, and then the third easier than the second...stick with it. You'll find a lot of support here

S
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Let me just start out by saying rebecca black is right, ya gotta get down on friday, so call some supportful friends, take a hobby, it's imperative you release the stress, find a happy and healthy way to do it, everyone is different.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First of all; LMAO on lmaonaise's post.

KeepFighting - no one can tell you that you're an alcoholic except yourself...but if you're finding it difficult to not drink...well, then I think that's a tad bit more then a problem. I only say this because I went through the same thing...exactly the same...
I still can't imagine my life without alcohol and am still struggling daily. It's sad to say that I think about booze on an hourly basis, if not more.

On the days or nights when I am not drinking and trying at sobriety again I keep as busy as possible. I know that everyone says this, but it's true.
Clean, cook, walk, read...anything.
It's a struggle...but everyone here has faith in you.
I can't even say that Friday was difficult for me because I got s*&tfaced every single day of the week.

You can do this!
What video games you playing?
I think I might play NHL12 tonight.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel you, KF. Friday is my devil's night as well. It's been 10 months and Fridays still ache. As mentioned previously, each Friday gets a bit easier, but my mind tries to trick me into thinking "I deserve a treat" "It's time to take a hard working man's ease and comfort" etc. All lies.

Tonight, wife and I will go to dinner. Come home watch a movie and I'll have my guitar in my lap as I do every night, for 3-5 hours a night, like every night for 10 months! It sure beats the alternative! And I'm becoming quite a player!

Good luck to you.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
First of all; LMAO on lmaonaise's post.

KeepFighting - no one can tell you that you're an alcoholic except yourself...but if you're finding it difficult to not drink...well, then I think that's a tad bit more then a problem. I only say this because I went through the same thing...exactly the same...
I still can't imagine my life without alcohol and am still struggling daily. It's sad to say that I think about booze on an hourly basis, if not more.

On the days or nights when I am not drinking and trying at sobriety again I keep as busy as possible. I know that everyone says this, but it's true.
Clean, cook, walk, read...anything.
It's a struggle...but everyone here has faith in you.
I can't even say that Friday was difficult for me because I got s*&tfaced every single day of the week.

You can do this!
What video games you playing?
I think I might play NHL12 tonight.
lmaonaise's post did give me quite a laugh

Thanks, I just read though some of your posts. This quote

"I want to quit drinking and I don't. The problem is that I wish I was one of those people that could just put the bottle down and walk away from it.
Obviously the one and only reason I have for not wanting to quit drinking is the way that it makes me feel. Not care about crap that happened during my day or anything...I know that unfortunately the next morning I feel guilty, crappy and just plain sad.
I get a high off knowing that I am going to get wine and that I am going to have that buzz...but obviously it gets to a point where I have had one too many and I just simply cannot stop when I know that I have reached that "point" and I just keep doing it until I black out."

Describes me so well at the moment.

You can do it to!

I am playing abit of GOW3 at the moment

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

OK, back to the Original Poster, KeepFighting.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, 'First thing we do, we kill all the bottles'. Lose that bottle of vodka right now, ok?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey KF, I am right there with you. This is my first friday of being sober. I am dreading the evening. There is a college football game on and my thing on friday was a 12 pack and the game. I'm still at work terrified to go home. In all honesty I'm scared of the entire weekend. Fall weekends for me have always been drinking watching college football on satuday (first drink usually around 10a) and then rinse repeat on sunday. I am focused on being productive and keeping myself busy. Bought a book I have been wanting to read and going to make myself a nice dinner. Hope you can find a way to fight the habit as well!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
OK, back to the Original Poster, KeepFighting.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, 'First thing we do, we kill all the bottles'. Lose that bottle of vodka right now, ok?
I can't bring myself to pour it away

I have moved it away though
Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I fired up my World of Warcraft account when I quit lol, dunno if that's your kinda game but it sure will keep your mind completely occupied!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Revielle1980 View Post
I fired up my World of Warcraft account when I quit lol, dunno if that's your kinda game but it sure will keep your mind completely occupied!!!
I've never tried it!

I have heard it's quite addictive though lol
Old 10-07-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

lol, oh great, now im gonna end up in "WA" or Warcraft Anonymous meetings
Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can spend hours entertaining myself on failbook and failblog
Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Revielle1980 View Post
Best advice in this post.. :-D That game has kept me sober for over a year at one point.

P.s. if everyone liked my post so much, why only 1 thankyou. :-(
Old 10-08-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

No, seriously. You will feel relieved when that bottle is gone, one less thing on your mind.

Pour it. Dump it. Get rid of it. Are you never going to get sober, or are you going to start now? Those are the only two options, because 'later' never comes. Do it now.