Notices

From college bound to homeless in a month? (long story)

Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ChaseK, I'm sending you lots of prayers and support. You sound like a great person going through a very hard time.

You may be a candidate for disability given that you have a mental disorder that impairs your ability to work. You would need a diagnosis, and it can take a long time to get, but that's pretty much the purpose of SSDI. That might get you in a position to get your mental health issues addressed.

Even if not, you will probably be able to qualify for public assistance after the jail stint, too.

I hope you will also consider finding some good online materials about social anxiety and sending them to your parents. I'm sure it is really confusing to them, and perhaps this would help them understand and process what you are going through.

One thing I've read is that people with depression and anxiety issues often don't eat right, get enough exercise, try to sleep on a regular schedule and also stay hydrated. If you aren't doing these things, please consider working on them. It might not be a total solution, but it can only help.

There definitely is hope. I think starting here is a awesome, because you can ease into sharing with people, without the stress of being face to face with strangers.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hello Chase,

I see that you are in Michigan, but I am not sure where you are. I can totally relate to your story, although I was a bit older (28) when I decided to try to live sober. I also had two warrents out for my arrest, and my family had pretty much cut ties. To be honest, I didn't care until I decided to get sober. I dragged my sorry butt to the heath department in Detroit, Herman keifer, it is on the Lodge service drive. I asked them to put me somewhere that would keep me the longest (I had no insurance and was homeless) I went to SHAR house, they also have dual diagnosis treatment for people who have other problems too and may need medication(your SA) After completing my 90 days, I contacted the court and went in to face the consequences of my actions. I was pretty lucky, this was in 1994 and the drinking laws were not as harsh as they are now and I didn't have to do jail time.
...I guess I am trying to let you know that there is help out there, and if you do end up doing some time, there are treatment centers that operate in the jail also. If you are truly ready to try to live your life and get help, it is time to accept responsibility for your actions, and take any help you can get. If you are near Detroit, the health department may be the best place to start, also, as someone said, the Salvation Army has many facilities, especially if you are near Detroit, harborlight is huge and inpatient, there is Elmherst house, sobriety house and more.
Please, Don't give up....help is there (((hug)))

Cathy

Also, after getting sober and turning my life around, and giving them time to believe in me again, my Family has accepted me back and things are good today.