Notices

Well Dang!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well Dang!

I fell off the wagon last night; I drank the better part of a bottle of a good Cabernet Sauvignon. This is after having been sober since early June. Looking back, I have several instructive (to me) observations on my fall from grace. First, I'm surprised at how easy it was to ignore over four months of sobriety in a moment of weakness. Second, I am distressed at how easy it was to keep pouring more wine. And, finally, I am surprised at how little I enjoyed the wine and the alcoholic buzz; for the pleasure I got, I might just as well have been drinking water. Fortunately, I have no desire to repeat the performance tonight.

Overall, I am pretty disappointed my in myself and have been scolding me most of the day. Oh well! To quote the old song, "I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again".
Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Sounds like you have a great attitude about it. Relapses don't have to be terrible, life shattering events, IMO. I think they are something that we need to learn from and move on, which it sounds like you are doing.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try to remember the disatisfaction that the alcohol gave you the next time you feel an urge. Keep that feeling with you to remind yourself how disappointing the experience was. In reality, the drink never matches up to the fantasy we have in our heads.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Cascabel
What the plan for this time to make sure that doesn't happen again?

D
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back to the sober side......

Give yourself credit for coming back right away and also for the insights you had. Another day or two and you'll be feeling positive again.....

It's humbling, I know (I've had a couple relapses too), but sometimes that's what it takes to take our disease seriously.

Thanks for the post - you can do it!