Notices

Day 8

Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

Hi All! I came to SR last Wednesday when I finally realized that I cannot limit or control the amount of alcohol I drink. I made it through the weekend which was a big challenge for me. I still have some worries about upcoming events and how to stay sober without calling attention to myself, but I will cross that road when I get to it.

I have not been to AA yet but considering it.

I will continue to utilize this site. I really want to quit drinking for good and I need help doing so. A lot of the posts remind me why I cannot drink and that I am not alone.

Thank you.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debbs,

I had to change my social life in order to stay sober because I couldn't be around people who were drinking for quite some time. It just didn't work for me.

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Anna. I agree with you about changing my lifestyle and even my friends. I am currently stressing a little about my husband's grandmother's birthday. We usually drink together and I don't want his family to know that I have a drinking problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days Debbs! Try not to worry to much about tomorrow. I couldn't be around drinking for at least 30 days ...I just didn't trust myself. Your husbands family doesn't need to know about your problem. Maybe your stomach is a little queasy...maybe your on antibiotics... or maybe you just don't feel like drinking.

Please have an escape plan in place if the party becomes too much...or can you possibly pass this time?

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Debbs. Firstly congrats on your sobriety! I understand not wanting people to know about your addiction to alcohol, but on the same page being open about it might benefit you more I’m not saying shout it out at all social events you attend but if the opportunity comes up and you have to pass on the drink that was offered to you, do it with pride and if someone questions why? Don’t be embarrassed to say the truth, sobriety shouldn't be hidden but to be proud of, if more people know about your addiction then the more support you will have during your recovery in the end. Keep the strength up and remember it's one day at a time and nothing about recovery is to be ashamed of. Your amazing for doing it!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 8 days Debbs

I find a simple no thanks I'm not drinking anymore/I don't drink is all anyone needs to know. I don't owe anyone an explanation.

If you feel more comfortable with an excuse tho - there's a million to choose from
I feel better not drinking is a good one

D
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being around drinkers in the initial few weeks of sobriety is difficult for everyone I think. Anxiety levels are already elevated and a family drinking event usually adds additional anxiety (hence why everyone is drinking).

Perhaps consider "calling in sick". For me I have bailed on more than a few events due to drinking, so bailing on a few more due to sobriety doesn't seem too irrational. Once you get over sober feet under you, I bet you will have less angst about these events. Just my experience. Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Hi Debbs! Congrats on 8 days and good luck with your Journey