Notices

time for me to quit

Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

time for me to quit

Hi folks,

In the past couple years I have found myself drinking more and more and in the last year or so it has progressed to the point in which I know that I have a problem.

In the past year my drinking has slowly begun to escalate.. firstly by beginning to drink solely vodka, then finding myself drinking during the daytime hours when I should not be drinking, then finally the worst for me was when I woke up one morning and wanted to take a drink and did. From there it was drink all day and try to function normally which I know is impossible. It has affected my eating habits and living habits in general, I'm not taking care of myself and I see myself beginning to neglect things.

I can see that I am at a turning point here and I need to stop drinking before life as I know it begins to go down the proverbial toilet. I have a lot to be thankful for and have worked very hard all my life and am not in a bad life situation really. It is just the drinking which is really making things difficult for me.

Yesterday I did not have a drink so today will be my 2nd day alcohol free. I am kind of feeling a little weird already. Kind of nauseous and out of it mentally. The one good thing is it is a very beautiful day outside just about as perfect as possible. I'm going to be sticking around home here and working in the yard trying to keep myself occupied.

Finding this forum and spending the last couple hours reading it has helped me already.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Welcome Northwoods! This place is great! You'll find some amazing people and some much needed support!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tony,

Welcome!

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr about your detox from alcohol.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Northwoods,

Nice to have you here. Good job on getting on with your second day. Lots of support here.

Welcome!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and good job on your 2 days!
You can do this.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
. The one good thing is it is a very beautiful day outside just about as perfect as possible. I'm going to be sticking around home here and working in the yard trying to keep myself occupied.

Tony , Welcome to SR , I just love that positive vibe in your post, ttok me a long time in soberity to see the beautiful days so good on you !!!!! The rest of your life is waiting for you, stay sober & grab it !!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Congrats on your decision. Keep posting and reading, this place has been a life saver for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

What's your plan to stay sober? Like many, I've found that will power alone was insufficient and that I needed to take additional steps. I finally gave in and went to AA, that has made a difference.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR, Tony!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR, Northwoods
good to have you with us!

D
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Welcome!

What's your plan to stay sober? Like many, I've found that will power alone was insufficient and that I needed to take additional steps. I finally gave in and went to AA, that has made a difference.

Well, I haven't quite figured that out yet. I'm reluctant to go to an AA meeting even though I do realize that I may need to if I feel I need the help. I looked online this morning and found a group that meets near me so I am prepared to take that step if need be. My weakest time is when I have to drive by the local liquor store on my way home from work. I guess I do have a plan made for that, I am going to call a friend on my cellphone when I need pass that obstacle and get some support.
For me a big part of quitting will be just figuring out how and why I got to the point where I am right now and taking a few steps back and taking a slightly different path. Does that make sense? I keep thinking about what life was like before the booze became a problem and how much happier and productive I was. I plan on staying focused on getting back to that point so I can start enjoying life to its fullest once again. I know I HAVE to quit! For quite a while I tried to deny the full extent of the problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome northwoods!

I am at not new to SR but I am coming back from a relapse. I to was a daily drinker. And I mean ALL day. Yup, in the morning too. You are definitely not alone.

You can do this....SR is a great place for support!

fragileflower
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome northwoods!

Congratulations on a sober day yesterday! Just keep taking it one day at a time and give yourself time to adjust. I started feeling pretty good around 4 days, and even though the cravings were still there, it felt good not to act on them and see them fade eventually.

Keep posting and reading - you don't have to combat this alone!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

like fragileflower i was a daily drinker. ALL DAY>
I am on day 89 and feel AMAZING
Your life will get better, i can promise that.
Keep going.