Notices

Day 28 and haven't felt this good in years!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 28 and haven't felt this good in years!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post this because for the past 28 days, I've looked at these posts to asses how I compare with others and I found them really helpful so that I don't feel alone and so that I have something to look forward to when it's really really hard.

I am in day 28 and I feel like I have a new life. I am not kidding. I completely feel like a new person. The first few weeks were hard, but every day I feel better and better. I feel like my body and personality and happiness and joy are all coming back. I am 36 and started using/drinking at age 14 - marijuana, alcohol, huffing in high school, then pot, cocaine, x, and anything i could get my hands on in my 20's, and drinking heavily all the while. For the past 10 years I haven't had a day that I wasn't drinking...for the past 5 years - drinking heavily...downing a bottle of wine, a few beers, and a few shots every night -I knew i had crossed some kind of line...but it took me several years to realize this and to finally stop.

So, 28 days - what keeps me going is how great I feel every day. I want a new life, and I feel like I am getting it little by little. Life is becoming clearer. I see everything in a different way. New, hopeful, and really great. I've even been told I am smiling more, my skin is clearer, my eyes are brighter.

Of course, I am having some paws symptoms like anxiety, but I am working through that too day by day.

Everyone's posts have really helped, having meetings to go to, and a sponsor to call has helped to. Podcasts and books on recovery too. Planning for those times that I know I might be tempted..all has to help stay focused and to be grateful of where I am today.

Good luck to everyone, I hope this helps other people to see that every day it gets better. I believe that. I think it will only get better from here.

My hope, thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time! Your plan sounds very good and your recovery solid. I especially like the part about planning for times you may be tempted. I found that very important in my recovery too. It's good to have the fog lifted with the substances gone.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear you're doing so well Lisa - congratulations!

D
Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats

I needed to hear that there is hope..
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! It keeps getting better.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That was a very inspiring post, Lisa. I am sober for about the same time as you, and I agree with your statements about a new feeling of self confidence and optimism, and a great feeling of accomplishment. Happiness and joy were the way things used to be for me, and that state is coming around again. It's fabulous.

Thanks for your inspiring post.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for sharing your experience so far. I'm only on day 3 right now but I'm looking forward to feeling better and better everyday. I too am 36 and started my experimenting with booze and other drugs around 14 also. The other day I realized that I have been drinking half my life! I'm looking forward to what my sober future holds for me.

So happy for you.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats! Well done! Make a note so you can revisit this day if you aren't feeling up to par!

Anxiety, for me, is not doing something I need to do, living in my past, or trying to control my future. Live in the moment & be productive!