Notices

Revielle Checking In...

Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Revielle Checking In...

Hello everyone, I am a new member to posting on this site but have been lurking for a little while.
I am quitting drinking and know I am going to need as much support as I can get, so here I am.

Here's just a but about my situation and what I am trying to get away from.

I have been drinking heavily every weekend for at least 5 years, usually a little over a handle of vodka and most of the time drinking alone.
Over the past year however, the problem has taken a turn for the worse.
I started making drinks in the mornings to try and feel better from the hangover I got the night before.
My weekends turned into 24-36 hour binges sending me to work on Monday feeling like absolute hell.

I noticed I started rationalizing calling in "sick" on Monday to give my body some time, well then I started drinking on my call in day and feeling even worse on Tuesday.

Basically I am caught up in the whole process and know it will only degrade if I continue.
Telling you guys my ordeal is just one thing I hope will help me get out of this mess.

I have spent many lonely terrified and sleepless night going through withdrawal/hangover symptoms and could always relate to the pain I read about fellow members having.
It was comforting to know then I wasn't suffering alone and if you can all beat alcoholism then it gives me hope.

I am near the end of my second day without alcohol and I feel very fortunate to say I haven't had any serious detox symptoms aside from some noted irritability and difficulty sleeping.

I should also mention this is not the first time I have quit drinking.
About six months ago I made it 8 days before starting again.
For me I think the social aspects of "missing" a drink are what I will need to battle the most.
Its what I do once the alcohol is completely gone from me that I have had trouble with.
I'm sure there are those here who have some great advice and I'd love to hear any!!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Revielle1980

a feeling of missing the social aspect was a great problem for me too - but really the problem was deeper for me - it takes some changes, but I can still be social and not drink....I found the real problem for me was that I hadn't accepted yet that I couldn't drink.

The support I found here helped me to get to that point - you'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Revielle1980

a feeling of missing the social aspect was a great problem for me too - but really the problem was deeper for me - it takes some changes, but I can still be social and not drink....I found the real problem for me was that I hadn't accepted yet that I couldn't drink.

The support I found here helped me to get to that point - you'll find a lot of support here too

D
What you say is so true.
There is a part of me that thinks I can still drink and be normal.
Of course the rational side of my brain knows that's a complete lie.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Revielle1980,

It sounds like your drinking has become very serious and you are aware of that. Are going to try to do it on your own?

All power to you
CaiHong
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Hi Revielle1980,

It sounds like your drinking has become very serious and you are aware of that. Are going to try to do it on your own?

All power to you
CaiHong
If you mean the rest of my detox, yes.
As far as staying sober past then I will need help.
I have found AA meetings near me and want to start going soon.
Preferably by this Friday, as I'm sure I will get cravings once I'm off for the weekend.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

For me, the drinking only ever got worse. I'm lucky I quit when I did because I could have had a miserable or else very short life ahead of me.

You can quit too, and this time for good. In my experience it is important to make a plan. It is great that you are here and I'm really glad you found this site, because everyone here is terribly supportive.

Best wishes to you, keep posting!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I think the meeting Friday would be a good idea. It will give you a much needed boost in spirits and help push you into the weekend with the right mindset.

Try not to think too far ahead in this thing. Try to think about it day by day, you can do one more day. Or if you need to go smaller chunks of time maybe, I can go this hour, or 10 minutes without drinking. That and meetings helped me in very early sobriety.

You can do it!!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support, its gonna make sleeping tonight a little easier.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! If you are thinking about AA then get to a meeting, TODAY!

Your drinking pattern seems to be getting worse. Drinking in the morning to relieve a hangover and extending your weekend drinking into the week is going down the path of drinking all day long, every day.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I used to wonder what I'd do if I didn't drink... now I know I can do anything... and do it better sober!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome xx
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is a hard nut to crack for sure. But if you want it bad enough, you can do it. I found that to be one of the keys for me. DESIRE. Make a plan for today, then tomorrow make a plan for the next day. But my suggestion is not to give yourself a "I can drink again date" because what I found it typically you rationalize that date closer and closer to the present day because that is the sickness talking. I found you need to NOT DRINK ANYTHING for quite some time before you can start to make clear decisions about sobriety. Early on you are a fragile piece of glass....best to be careful.

Find support. I found it here.....I found it in loved ones.....I found it in a counselor......I tried it alone....it never worked for me.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again for the support everyone

I don't plan on ever drinking again and coming to terms with that will be an ongoing issue for some time to come.
I know I should take every day as its own but how long does it take to be ok with never drinking again?

I am now halfway through my fourth day and am committed as ever.
I have managed to skip the worst of the withdrawal symptoms but have noticed my mood will shift from hyper to angry and depressed at the drop of a hat.

I am also going to my first as meeting tonight after work, I can't bear the thought of a night home alone.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Congrats on day 4 and on deciding to attend your first meeting. Let us know how it went. I don't have an answer for your question...perhaps someone with more experience will come along. The mood shifting I can completely relate to -- keep in mind that the alcohol has totally thrown your brain chemistry out of whack and it takes a little while for that to sort itself out; but there may also be some real underlying psychological issues that the alcohol has been masking (talk to a doctor if it doesn't get better in the next few weeks).
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know I should take every day as its own but how long does it take to be ok with never drinking again?
It's different for everyone I think. But it takes what it takes.

It took me a lot longer than 4 days

I drank for 20 years - even tho my drinking very nearly killed me, it still took me months to be able to start thinking of 'forever' without freaking out.

If staying in the day helps for now, stay in the day

D
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you for going to a meeting, that should help. After I go to a meeting about 90% of the time I feel much better. The other 10% of the time I don't feel any different, sometimes the meeting is just ok. The key I think is to go to several different meetings and find the one's you like.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I just got back from my first meeting and it was soooo much better than expected!!
I thought everyone would come up and start hugging me and that kinda freaked me out, instead I got lots of handshakes and they decided to speak on the first step since there was a newcomer present.
Wow, I cannot describe how amazingly at ease I was, until the group leader asked me to share, and I said everything about what got me there.
What a burden lifted, I found a temporary sponsor, got a big book and can't wait to go back.
There's just so much there I related too.
I'm pretty sure this is the best I have felt without alcohol on a Friday night in years lol

Oh and a fantastic quote I heard there "alcoholics are the only people who treat loneliness with being lonely"
Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I loved reading your post that you liked the AA meeting and feel great! Congratulations - keep it up!