Notices

Feeling the pain on day three

Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling the pain on day three

That anxiety is starting to come back and my stomach is in knots.. walked another 4 miles today... I want to give in but know that everything that I have done up to this point will be all in vain.. all of the pain and anxiety and torture over the last three days for not.. This sucks but I wont give in..
I mean really I wish I would of know this like ten years ago.. never gone down this path.. but what can you do right..
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The only suggestion I can give you is keep excersing. Read posts on this sight. Go to a meeting if possible. And eat anything you want. I would not drink after I ate a meal because the alcohol did not affect me as much. Pretty messed up thinking, huh, so most of the time I wouldnt eat just drink.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you - and, yeah, do focus on the gift of recovery at your fingertips today. You arevright where you should be.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Keep going, Ed.....

Think it through (like you're doing)....... the cravings don't last forever, even though it feels like you're hanging on by your fingernails at the time. I spent the first week glued to this forum, just reading the newcomer's posts hour after hour.

Not only did it get me out of my own head and make me feel not so alone, but it reminded me over and over just how miserable it is to continue to give in to alcohol. When we get a craving, it blocks all that out and we can only think about is the relief of drinking. But, as you know, it only makes it harder to say no the next time.

There were time early on when the thoughts and feeling seemed overwhelming, but I kept telling myself that even if I had to go crazy I wasn't going to drink. I watched the clock and let the minutes go by. It wasn't pleasant, but I kept telling myself it would get better. Someday I'd be able to see what the others here were talking about: where the cravings fade away and sobriety feels normal......

Accept the thoughts and feelings for what they are (your addiction), but don't act on them. Do some good things for yourself. It's worth getting through this time, Ed, I promise you!!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Ed,

I am right there with you. On day 4 and its a struggle. Last night I was feeling lousy and knew the quick fix...but realized, I would just be resetting the healing process and have to deal with it again. Just keep looking to how much brighter the future can be! And keep on keeping on. I personally find that spending time doing the things I used to love before alcohol became such a focus has really helped.

I have spent a ton of time talking to my family and loved ones, giving my dogs the attention they deserve and just in general trying to be productive with the important things in my life.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i reset that healing process for two years.
dont do it. you deserve better. your life is worth it.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first week SUCKS! But it's going to get so much better. I'm 19 days in today and I'm over the physical withdrawl. Walking is a great idea! Keep going! I believe in you!

xo,
kc
Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You need to keep yourself distracted. Find a good book, play some videogames, watch a movie. Anything to take your mind off it.

Go buy a big bottle of juice or water and drink it whenever you get the urge, and
drink it until you're full. It should help dull the thirst, I still do it and I haven't drunk alcohol in 8 months.

Good luck mate!