Notices

First night: Stuck with my plan :)

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First night: Stuck with my plan :)

So after reading a lot of posts and hearing what you all had to say, I decided not to go cold turkey last night since I hadn't talked with my doctor. Instead, I cut back my normal amount to half and despite wanting more I stuck with my plan. I slept GREAT and woke up feeling really good, too. So I think I'll give this tapering thing a shot. If I don't make it then I'll definitely go talk to my doctor for help going cold turkey. Just wanted to post an update and say thanks again for all the support you guys have offered!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You may be able to go cold turkey. Talk to your Doc anyway. Certainly give your tapering idea a shot. I wouldn't drink more than 1, though. Then again I don't know much of anything about tapering. And previously I had cold turkeyed for days at a time just getting over hangovers without anything happening but feeling better. (1-2.5 bottles of wine a night.) I eventually quit at once. I saw minor pink noise and shapes in my eyes, but I also didn't know the risks. If you start shaking, you're in trouble. Everyone's body is a little different.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My suggestion is to still go to your doctor as soon as you can. Trying to 'taper' down will mostly likely (can't speak for all of course) lead you right back to where you were prior.
The doc is not going to have any judgements, he is there to help YOU! I was scared as heck to be honest when I went to talk to him the first time, but once I did it was a load off and he gave me great advice, and referred me to a wonderful therapist.
If you want postive results and ultimately sustaining completely what do you have to lose then to go see your doc?
Keep reading and posting... this place is wonderful for support
Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lizzer,

Great work on getting your drinking more under control. I was able to taper off in order to manage the withdrawal ...

A big however though...please please please don't confuse the ability to drink less with the ability to control the addiction. How you go about quitting is a different journey for all of us. One way is no better than the other as long as the end result is a sober you.

Bottom line...keep up the hard work and get the support you need.

Please keep us posted .
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lizzer

I'm really glad you cut back - but I'd like to echo what soberwingz said
please please please don't confuse the ability to drink less with the ability to control the addiction.
I still think the best course is to see a Dr. It's not just about being safe in detox although thats the main coincern - it's important you get yourself checked out - we can beat ourselves up pretty good drinking...

I think opening up to someone else can also be an important step in admitting our problem.

You may be different of course, but tapering never worked for me - somewhere after that first night, which is always a success, the tapering slowed stalled or stopped all together.

I could never control my drinking at the best of times - it was always a big ask for me to try and control it, and try to taper.

D