Notices

Sobriety has given me...

Old 10-05-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Kind of like eJoshua, this is my second day of not drinking and yesterday I went grocery shopping and ate a healthy microwave meal with vegetables and ice cream. Usually I would have beer and liquor for dinner and maybe some McDonalds afterward. I haven't eaten a real dinner in so long. Maybe that is not a big deal but it makes me realize what drinking has got me into. So day 1 of sobriety has given me a real dinner.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sobriety has given me freedom, self-respect, and a recycling bin that doesn't clink when I roll it down to the curb.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

What has drinking taken from me? I could write a book!

What has sobriety taken from me? Nothing! At 4.5 months, I could write a book on what I've received!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It was very difficult for me at first to recognize what being sober had given me, just as it took me a while to realize what drinking had taken away from me (still figuring this out actually). As an addict, I always am too focused on all the things I don't have yet, wanting to be as perfect in recovery as I was in my addiction. Reminding myself to be grateful every day is a big help, because there's no room in a grateful heart for dissatisfaction.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good health. 90% of good health boils down to eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep.

When you drink, you don't eat right because you're too busy drinking to cook, or, you're eating hangover greasy food.

You don't exercise because you have no energy because you're hungover.

You don't get enough sleep because you stayed up late drinking and your sleep was not proper healthy sleep.

So, now I eat right, exercise, and am working on getting enough sleep.