Notices

Detox/ Rehab Question

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox/ Rehab Question

So I have arranged some child care so I can get into detox. Child care has been the main reason i have not gone. This is the problem though. The detox unit wants to keep me seven days. I only have child care for three days maybe four. I asked the detox unit if they would please work with me since i am a widowed mother and have no family around to help me with the kids. My friends are really putting themselves out to help me. The detox intake said I could leave after four days but it would be considered AMA.

I am really frustrated because I am desperatley trying to get help but i feel that the detox unit is being to strict. I almost dont want to do it because leaving early would be against thier rules and it would give me a bad name but I think three to four days is better than none. They told me that the seven days is for medical precautions but I have done a four day detox before and was ok. The other thing is that on their website it says detox is from three to seven days.

I dont know if I should go in and leave when i need too or just forget about it. I have been trying on my own for months and it has not worked. I know i need detox but their are barriers.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think you can only do what you can do.

I don't know what AMA means, and I'm not sure who the detox people would be talking to, to give you a 'bad name'. Presumably the information they gather about you is confidential.

I hope that you can find a way to work this out.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AMA means against medical advice. What i meant by giving me a bad name was if by chance i had to go back into detox they would hold it against me if i left against their advice.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I'm pretty sure people here have done 3 day detoxes. Did you ask your doctor? Are there other places you can detox I mean?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

salvation army?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey sark,

I'm not sure either how labeling your leaving as against medical advice would hurt anything or be cause for concern. The only thing I could ever figure that label was for was insurance purposes or something.

I wouldn't let this stop you if you already have arrangements to have your children taken care of. You can technically leave whenever you want (my experience,) but you're already going in with the mindset of getting something out of it so it should be beneficial to you to do the 3-4 days.

When I went into detox the time frame of people leaving (between the 3-7 days) was based on the availability of the doctor that is there, and how he/she views your progress. A lot of it is timing, if you go on a Monday you'll see the doctor usually each day. If you went say on a friday, having the weekend, you'd go 4 days and only see him/her twice at most, and they'd be more hesitant to release you without an AMA just because they haven't been present to see your progress.

You can go and just talk to the doctor and explain your situation. I think you should go for it 3-4 days is better than none. Good luck with it