Notices

Day 4

Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 4 since I have stopped drinking. I am currently experiencing some of the withdrawal symptoms such as brain fog, trouble sleeping, whole body shaking, severe anxiety, panic attacks, dizziness, chest pain, palpatations, depression and the feeling of impending doom. With each day these symptoms become less severe, although I have a feeling that some of these symptoms will linger on for a while longer.

I am doing this cold turkey, and whilst the prospect of a stroke or heart attack is extremely frightening, the real thing that scares me is not being mentally strong enough to say no to a drink when the time comes.

I'm 24, and have always binged when I've been out drinking, which sometimes lasted just weekends, and sometimes weeks. The feeling of confidence and the way it put me at ease was the most attractive factor, I always felt like I was the most funny person in the room and also the most interesting.

Drinking has always been a big part of my life, but now it is becoming a real problem to my physical health and my state of mind which is why I want to cut it out. As Bukowski wrote: "That's the problem with drinking. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen." I felt my life was a lot like this and that the next drink was only around the corner.

The benefits of not drinking far out weigh the benefits of drinking, I don't think a few hours confidence boost is worth weeks of depression anymore for one. It has taken me a while to realise this.

Things that have helped me so far:
1. Talking to a friend, relative or counsellor - getting absolutely everything off my chest, everything that is worrying, my thoughts, my stresses and my ambitions.
2. Trying to figure out why I have to binge every time and am unable to stop at just 1 or 2 drinks.
3. Drinking lots of water.
4. Eating a banana, orange and apple every day.
5. Breathing techniques.

I hope this helps someone somewhere, I have found a lot of help on this forum and website and it has made me feel less alone in my struggle so thank you.

Adam
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am also 24 and on day 4 today. That quote you posted def applies to me. Drinking for whatever reason I could think of or make up.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm also on day 4 and a newcomer. So far I'm really liking the site. It's helping.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Adamm,
One thing that kept me drinking for a much longer time than I needed to be was trying to intellectualize and analyze my drinking. Your #2 question above reminds me of this. I spent so much time trying to figure out where the "line" was, do I have a problem or don't I, and why why why? That I delayed just stopping. All I know for sure is that I can't stop at 1 or 2. I have suspicions (my own opinion only) that it's partly genetic, partly environmental, partly personality, etc. but I may never know why. I guess I thought if I knew why, then I could figure out how to fix that root cause. But truly, the only fix, is to just accept what is, and stop the behavior. It's hard for me, because I am an analytical person by nature. But after 20 years of asking myself that question, I surrender.

I think you're a smart guy for making changes 20 years earlier than I did!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey humblestudent thanks for your reply, and the compliment,

I know what you mean, it was only recently when I was supposed to go out for a quiet few pints of beer down the local pub I found myself in town several pints and whiskys later vomiting onto the pavement. I then realised I must have a problem if I can't stop after only a couple of pints. For me part of it was the feeling of losing my worry and feeling comfortable and being able to relax. My brain tells me this is a good thing and encourages me to drink more. But I have no self control so the line completely vanishes and you can't tell whether it was the 3rd pint or the 3rd whisky that puts you past the point of no return.

But you are completely right, the reasons why we can't stop at 1 or 2 drinks is different for each individual, it could well be to do with genetics, the environment and everything else you mentioned, finding out the root cause could give you a valuable insight but as you say stopping the behaviour is the only real way to fix things.

On the other hand it is all well and good for me to admit that I could well have a problem, but as I mentioned before I'm more scared of losing control and having another drink in a few weeks or months which could then lead to many drinks. This is where i'll need the most help.

I know there are a lot of people who use this site who have had a far worse ride than me with alcohol and it makes me very happy to read about their success. It has given me a lot of hope. Thank you to everyone else who has replied if you ever want to share how you are coping with any symptoms or any stories or advice then you can always post a reply or send me a message.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Adamm - Glad you've decided to join us! The inspiration and support here has been my lifeline!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Adam, welcome to SR!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR adamm

D
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me too.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome simplenoteasy!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for reading and posting their thanks. What are your views on an alternative beverage? I am a big fan of Pepsi Max, but I've been laying off the caffeine aswell so far to keep the heart rate down. Is NA Beer any good? I have never tried it but I'm thinking I might try it instead of real beer. I'm now on day 6 and I am feeling better but my cravings are coming big time.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

adam, stay away from trying to find a substitute.
eventually the monster will say its okay to slip in a free shot here and there.
the substitute is just that.
and especially not NA beer
Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ok

I'll take your advice and stay away from it all completely. I think I just had some cravings yesterday, but i'm on day 7 now and staying strong. Cheers. I feel a lot better as well, a lot of the symptoms have gone i'm just looking forward to a really chilled out relaxed weekend.