Notices

Advice Needed

Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Needed

Hi all

I recently posted my "story" a couple of weeks ago. Any advice on what to do when my wife has a glass or two of wine in the evening? I try and not to let it get to me but it does. It's only usually one or two nights a week. My wife is NOT an alcoholic. She is able to have a glass and stop whereas I would feel the need to kill the whole bottle. My wife thinks that I have a couple of years of sobriety under my belt when in fact it's only been a couple of weeks. Our marriage will not survive if I ask her not to drink because I have been struggling. I get the whole honesty thing but not in this instance. Over the past few months, if my wife drinks some evening wine then I mix me a vodka with tea or just put vodka with water in a water bottle and it's off to the races.

Any advice is appreciated. I have made it sober a year two different times over the past 5 years and I want to stay sober.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GoMan
sounds like you've dug yourself a bit of a hole.

I think you can either come clean about it not being a couple of years at all, or you just have to grin and bear it.

I never notice people drinking now...I think we all get to that point - if we stay committed to not drinking.

Are you using any support besides SR?

D
Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Probably have to grin and bear it. I do attend AA as additional support. When I was sober previously that's what I had to do. Might take the dog for an extended walk on those evenings...

I appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No doubt, get your a** to a meeting while she has her wine.

Sorry you are struggling with this. My wife was so happy when I quit that she didn't allow alcohol in the house by anyone.