Notices

My Detox Experience

Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Detox Experience

I am new to recovery and was rather nervous about getting started in the process. I heard all sorts of horror stories about different detox and rehab facilities and was expecting the worst.

I was prescribed xanax to help me sleep at night and to help with anxiety, but soon began abusing the pills. I knew it wasn't right what I was doing and just kept saying to myself "someday I'll stop." Well 'someday' turned into 4 and a half years of 'someday's'.

So I finally mustered up the guts to check in and IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE IN MY LIFE. (Besides having children of course!)

I was recommended to a place called Summer House Detox in Miami Florida by a family friend who is a very respected psychiatrist.

From the moment I picked up the phone, a gentleman named Mike was very informative and told me that even if I didn't come to Summer House detox that he would be happy to point me in the right direction towards getting my life back. He even gave me his cell phone number. I gave him my information and he set everything up for me.

Another Summer house detox employee named Chad picked me up from the airport and instantly, I felt like I had a friend. I entered the facility and it was nothing like I had expected. I was picturing a hospital-like setting, but this was far from it. It looks like a comfortable home inside.

I can't say enough about my experience; Rootie, the administrator printed me articles and natural treatments for my disease that I never knew existed. Also, I ate better than I have in the past 5 years of my life. The food was incredible! I'm also a registered nurse and it was a breath of fresh air to witness the nursing staff team. Talk about empathetic and always available.

Anyways... I am trying to get involved as much as I can in the Sober community. I am regularly attending meetings now, I have a sponsor and am actively working the steps. I figured I would just let anyone interested know about my experience.

Happier than I have ever been in a while,

Connie M

Last edited by Dee74; 10-03-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: removed email address
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

me too!

hi connie...
i went to summer house too!!! yes, they are wonderful there. i too was on pills and couldn't stop. summer house made it possible to get the pills out of my system. aa meetings, sponsor, step work have made it possible for me to STAY sober. good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thank you for sharing and welcome to SR!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, and thanks for the post!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, Connie, and congratulations on getting off the pills. I'm really glad you had a good experience in treatment. I felt the same way when I went.

This is a great community and it's wonderful to have you with us!:day6
Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I posted before...but welcome Connie

D
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, lanalulu, for your post. It is refreshing to hear from another that the experience is not all doom and gloom.

My road to recovery parallels yours, and I found it exhilirating to work together with others on my recovery path. I almost deprived myself of the experience because I had some pretty false pre-conceived notions about what the recovery program I used to obtain sobriety was about.

Keep building on your excellent start!