SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This could be any of us.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/237811-could-any-us.html)

blackstrat6 10-02-2011 11:57 PM

This could be any of us..

I would like to put this down for the newcomers out there.
I was in my house and heard what I thought was fighting in the neighborhood. I know all of my neighbors so i decided to walk out and listen. I looked over and saw flames and I knew what was on fire even though it was not clearly visible. I threw my shoes on and took off at a sprint and sure enough it was a very close friend of mines house fully engulfed in flames! I was freaking out because I knew the odds of him getting out were slim. (mobile home). I asked one of the firefighters where my friend was and he said he didn't know! So i asked the nearest ambulance and he also said he didn't know. So I went to the next ambulance and found my friend being treated for some pretty bad burns...

He started a fire in his woodstove and then proceeded to pass out, he woke up on fire! I would say he probably had maybe 15% chance of making it out of there alive! He is very fortunate but he will be scarred for life, will have insane medical bills and does not have a home now, all from drinking. Lost it all that fast! Another thing is that it is deer hunting season here and there was lots of ammunition going off that could have easily killed the rescue personnel or any one within a mile or more! I could hear it going off while I was over there desperately trying to find him! These are the things we don't think about when we drink. The innocents we can harm or kill!

The reason I want the newcomers to read this is because This guy has a serious alcohol problem no different than mine and a lot of us here. He has come over and cried on me several times because he can't quit drinking. I have been bugging him every other day or so for weeks to go to a meeting with me, I offered to give him a ride and everything.

Please learn something from this and be grateful this hasn't happened to you!! This (probably) would not have happened if he would have been sober!!

simplyfab 10-03-2011 12:07 AM

Wow, Black.
I hope your friend makes it out ok.
Thanks for sharing this. I know I've had my share of "never would've happened if I wasn't drinking" moments, but nothing as severe as this. Thank Goodness. (But easily could have)

Prayers sent out to all who have suffered greatly in any way because of alcohol.
And a prayer for your friend Black.

~Simply

breester 10-03-2011 12:08 AM

That is awful.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine -- she attempted to light a cigarette via a gas stove, whilst drunk, and her hair caught fire. She lost her ear lobe (which was hard for her, because she was all about earrings), and needed skin grafts on her face. Took a very long time for her to recover, but she's ok now, thank god.
Hope your poor neighbour recovers, sending positive thoughts his way.

RaiderRuss 10-03-2011 12:10 AM

Sorry to hear about that bro. These kind of stories remind me of the reason why I quit drinking myself. It's better to stop in time, rather than actually go through the consequences of our actions then quit.

Hope your friend is recovering well & he finally seeks help.

gr8ful42day 10-03-2011 12:14 AM

Just look at the car in my siggy. My best friend died in that wreck, I was driving...1 yr ago tonight. I am facing this day sober, but it's not easy.
I never wish for someone to go through what I have this last year. I have heard in so many meetings "wow, that could have been me".

I am praying for your friend.

Dee74 10-03-2011 12:16 AM

how awful - prayers for your friend Blackstrat.

D

blackstrat6 10-03-2011 02:10 AM

Geez gr8ful42day I am soo sorry. I can't imagine what you have went through. I am glad you are sharing your story here, you very well could save many lives by telling your story.

ttbp 10-03-2011 05:24 AM

Thanks for sharing that story - I hope your friend makes it

Gr8ful42day - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. xx

blackstrat6 10-03-2011 01:31 PM

Update.... I tried the emergency room where my friend was taken and they told me he had been transfered to an accute facility which is not good news. Please pray for the ones still suffering including my friend...

sampar 10-03-2011 01:37 PM

:hug: thoughts & prayers your way Black, look after ure self! Asking my HP to help ure pal x

wellwisher 10-03-2011 01:51 PM

How tragic. Thank you for posting this (you too, gr8ful42day). My thoughts and prayers to all of you.

southbeach 10-03-2011 03:05 PM

black, so sorry for your friend. these are our best lessons. its too bad everyone doesn't get the fact that this is a disease we don't have to die from but that it is life and death. glad you get it.

artsoul 10-03-2011 08:09 PM

Prayers for your friend, blackstrat........ I met a guy in rehab who ended up relapsing and died in a house fire. There are too many stories like this.......

Anna 10-03-2011 08:17 PM

Black,

Thanks for sharing this story.

And, of course, lots of prayers for your friend that he may recover.

AnodyneShift 10-03-2011 11:03 PM

Thank you BlackStrat! Very much appreciated.

An old timer at a few meetings I attend refers to these "could have been" scenarios as our "Yet"s.
As in, "I haven't passed out, woken up on fire and burned my house down.....yet"

Then of course, "yet" standing for "You're Eligible Too"

I'm glad your friend isn't hurt any worse than he was, and will include him in my prayers- maybe this is his bottom. Hopefully.

Thanks again for posting this- great illustration of the damage we can do

-D

MrSilver 10-03-2011 11:34 PM

Know of a similar story. A friend of a friend was out getting drunk on his birthday and got home, then that night the house started on fire. Him and his gf were both inside and he was too far passed out to get out of the house. They both died. Left behind not only family and friends, but a 5 year old kid who now doesn't have a father.

CarolD 10-03-2011 11:41 PM

Prayers going out for your friends healing....:hug: to you for shareing Black

michelle01 10-04-2011 11:01 AM

I passed out with appliances left on, such as the oven. I think I've been lucky a few times, this is one of the things that prevents me from another binge, I can never tell the outcome. Yes this could easily have been me.

Lizzer 10-04-2011 11:35 AM

That's horrible. Hoping for a good outcome for your friend.