Notices

tired, headaches, can't sleep, blah

Old 10-02-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tired, headaches, can't sleep, blah

Hi all,
I realize I cannot be given medical advise, but let me just tell you all how I am feeling after 9 days. I pretty much drank at least a few beers a day for the last 5 years or so. I drank to the point of blacking out every 3 days or so for the last 2 of those years. I am now just so tired. My eys are red and won't clear up. Dull headache most of the time and I wake up all night long. Is this something you all went through? It kind of feels like allergies. I'm also dizzy and rather "out of it". Glad to not be hungover though, although this feeling is similar in many ways.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. I'm just under 4 months sober now. Though out this time I've had headaches, sleeping problems, panic, anxiety, lack of apatite, bad foggy feeling, bad hand eye coordination, bad sinus pain, etc. The out of it "foggy" feeling sucks so bad. Your like walking and it feels like dream mode. It gets better and some days are better than others. Stay strong.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi songtx

I drank in similar fashion - rest assured, it took me a while to feel good too.

I know it sounds like a mantra, but if you're at all concerned over how you're feeling, see a Dr. - at least put your mind at ease.

D
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear you TX, I've been experiencing that too, first I cut down drinking and then I stopped just as of last Thursday, and those symptoms started as soon as I cut down on my drinking. At first I thought I was coming down with the flu but not for three weeks! I have upped my caffeine intake but that hasn't helped at all, just made it harder to sleep at night. Aleve has helped a lot with the headaches, not that I am giving medical advice mind you, if you really are concerned about your symptoms you should see a doctor. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Hugs. You're getting un-numb and getting more regular! Congrats on 9 days of sobriety. Watch caffeine & pure sugar intake. Remember to have good carbs-multi grains, veggies...

Best wishes on staying stopped!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

I have 11 days sober now and I will get dizzy sometimes still. I think it is still dehydration. Make sure you are drinking lots of water which might help with the headaches.

Also you're cat looks almost exactly like mine
Old 10-02-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

"hot" water & lemon slow the caffeine...i had bad dreams & then couldn't sleep. More water, good carbs. Exercise. Balance. Give time time, you didn't get there over night.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Wesa, the fuzzy one, is not a cat, nor a dog. She prefers "dee-oh-gee"

She's my spirit angel life-saver when my home went from four to just me. I adopted her petite-ness, "wesa" is Cherokee for "cat" or "see-ay-tee" as she understands English, but she can't spell. She may just be an alien in disguise. Yeah, overactive imagination...
Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have been sober for 54 days, and I still don't feel right - at first I felt exactly like you have described. At first I couldn't sleep at night, and just felt crummy. After a couple of weeks I felt better. I think it just takes time - fighting this battle takes a lot out of you, you know? I have been sober for 8 years then 9 years (relapsed both times) and remember feeling a lot better later, but it takes time. I am still not 100%, but dealing with the reality of almost wrecking my life has brought me down, and I think that manifests itself mentally, physically and psychologically. Hang in there, it gets much, much better. Exercise helps, and when you can sleep a normal night you will be surprised how much better you feel. I do have problems with being tired, but I'm hoping that passes. Take care. We care about you, and I am proud of you for manning up and quitting the self-destructive cycle.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm 15 days in. I had terrible muscle spasms at night while I attempted to sleep. Ugh trying to fall asleep sucked and I still have night sweats. But I am feeling better every day. I often drank to avoid having panic attacks, but I haven't had anxiety issues since about the fourth sober day. I'm taking emergenC supplements (plus they're tasty), a multivitamin and drinking tons of water. I think it's just going to take time to return to a balanced body and mind. Good luck! Sending tons of healthy energy and love!

kc
Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been drinking since I was 15 and am 28 now. I just had a 9 day straight binge. If I wasn't passed out from drinking I was drinking. I'm on day 4 now. I actually had seizures and heard and seen things. I got sober once for a year and felt like I was "losing it" as well. Took me almost a year without a drop just to feel half way decent, so I gave up. I'm gonna start over this time. If you've been drinking for years and years you're not just gonna be recovered in a couple weeks. Best of wishes to you!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR ohg247

D
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

I find exercise and aleve help a lot.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

That's exactly how I felt the first time I quit (after drinking v. heavily. When I ultimately quit I hadn't been drinking quite as much). I had the red burning eyes too. I think I was kind of detoxing.

Great food, lots of sleep, exercise and some treats helped (treats like a starbucks etc).