Notices

P.a.w.s. ???

Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

P.a.w.s. ???

I'm trying to figure out some stuff when it comes to Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. I've had the normal... Feel good for a few day, then feel bad for a few days. That goes back and forth. Here lately I've been having way more good days. But then when the bad days come around there bad. I get short of breath, way off balance, I feel I overreact to things, feel tired and have no energy, always gulping and getting dry mouth. I know I've been though this before, but it always feels new and different. I read that it's just my chemical and brain equaling out.

I guess where I'm going with this is... I'm wanting some thoughts from others who have dealt with this? Like how you felt and what you did to get though these bad days. I sometimes wonder why I'm doing this, but I always have hope that I'll just feel way better someday.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
I guess where I'm going with this is... I'm wanting some thoughts from others who have dealt with this? Like how you felt and what you did to get though these bad days. I sometimes wonder why I'm doing this, but I always have hope that I'll just feel way better someday.

Over 7 months sober here, the bad days do still come but as you say there are way more good days, Its hard to remember when I'm feeling down but I do remember that when I drank I felt pretty lousy most of the time, except those few time when things went right, in the end that wasnt very offen.

When I forget why I'm doing 'this', I only have to remember why I quit so many times, and the promise I made to myself the last time I quit forever.

Hey, we all have a bad day here and there, I'm having a pretty bad weekend with feelings in general but drinkings not gonna help my future, dont forget the long term goal, I think you will feel a lot better someday, and a little better everyday even if you dont notice it everyday.

As far as PAWS, Ive set my expectations on the 18 months (maybe more) that some say it can take, drinking now would just put that even further away because I know I would want to quit again, I've been there and drank that....

I'm out of that cycle, and even when it hurts we need to remember how we were trapped.

Stay free!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get short of breath, way off balance, I feel I overreact to things, feel tired and have no energy, always gulping and getting dry mouth.
That matches my experience of anxiety, but not so much PAWs BGS.
Have you seen anyone about it for a definitive diagnosis?

D
Old 10-02-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@SomethingBetter I feel better these days, but the bad days just knock me down. I feel shaky in the legs and and weak. Then after a day or a couple of days I'm back to feeling awesome.

@Dee74 A doctor I saw said it was anxiety, but didn't go much further. The P.A.W.S. thing was a possibility he said and as I read more about it, it seemed like it's what I'm going though. A lot of foggy days, some sleep problems, anxiety, and light panic. All things that come along with PAWS. I've never had these things happen till I quit.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Can't see your words.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BGS,

I have experienced a lot of the same things you described. I'm about a week away from 8 months since I quit drinking, the one thing I can tell you is, for me, it is getting less. Hang in there, take care of yourself and I guess most of all have patience. I have to remind myself every once in a while that I poisoned my body for about 20 years it's going to take time to heal.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anyone else go though this?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Bigguy,

I'm currently going through this. Well off and on for about the last 2 months though things have gotten a little better. A lot of what I experience is the inability to concentrate on something, or having motivation to do anything that I would normally like doing (a lot of that is knowing in advance I'll lose focus so it's like whats the point?) I deal with racing thoughts sometimes and my mind gets stuck on one thing and I can't break free of it. Also you talk about being numb, sometimes I just don't feel anything at all really. People talk to me about something and I can focus for like 5-10 seconds and then my mind is somewhere else. It's a little embarrassing lol. This has all manifested itself into a thick depression. I saw a psychiatrist a week ago and she prescribed an anti-depressant which I am told makes you feel worse mentally before you feel improvement. So I'm weathering that storm as well at the moment (a week in) :/

I'll have about 4 months in a week. I think we share a similar sobriety date which is cool. I've read too that with p.a.w.s any slips will effectively take away all the progress the brain is making to even itself out. I had a year and 1.5 months when I relapsed for 1.5 months this year and I can say that this is very true. Even after that first night that I drank, I didn't over-do it and get drunk, but even the next morning it was like my overall mental outlook on things had changed and regressed. Looking back now after a year I had made big strides mentally. So I think my point is that it keeps getting better with time. Exercise and nutrition help. I've started taking a multi-vitamin to combat my poor eating habits. But yeah hang in there. There will always be some bad days, but I think as time goes on the bad days become less and less extreme in their severity.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Simplex thanks for your input. I remembered that we had close sober dates. The bad days drive me crazy. I feel like it's all new and has never happened to me, when in fact I know that it has. This round of bad days has been really bad. Extreme dizziness, brain zaps, just don't wanna do anything, and my anxiety keeps me in the house. Then I get good days that are 100x better. This is harder than I thought it would be. Hopefully I see more good days soon.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am going through a lot of the same things as you. It might just be panic attacks that come every once in awhile because I totally relate to feeling awesome one day, and then all the symptoms and anxiety the next.

I haven't taken anit-d's or anything for about 7 months and I don't know how long paws would affect us like this. I definitely need to see a doctor but don't want to be prescribed anit-d's for "taken as needed" like I was earlier this year because I know that I'll take it anytime I'm feeling bad at all and don't want to be dependent on something else.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Nirvana1. It's nice to not feel so alone.