Notices

First real test coming up.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

First real test coming up.

Hi fello SR folk. Haven't posted much lately but read on my phone a lot. I'm a bit over 3 months in to sobriety. Since June 12th. My first real test is coming up. I am going away for business in a few weeks for 6 days by myself. I'm pretty sure I am going to be ok, but the thought of being alone in another country where no one knows me etc. kind of makes it easy to pick up a bottle. Again, I'm pretty damn sure I won't. But at the same time, who knows what will go through my head out there.

My plan is to just stick to what I do at home now. Work out, eat, tv, bed. Up for work, repeat. Exciting eh? lol I'd go do something but I'm not a very comfortable person going out by myself. Probably for the best.

I'm not an AA member or anything, but I think I will look up meetings in the area of where I am staying when I go away in case I need to go.

Also have a party to go to next weekend which will be my first time around people actually getting drunk. I've had people drink in front of me before and it's certainly managable. But no one getting drunk etc. But a fellow 7 year sober very good friend will be going, as well as my wife who hardly drinks at all. It should be ok but these people at the party are used to me being a hard drinker the odd time I actually see them. It will be strange, but I think it will be good.

I guess these are just the daily things that I will have to put up with and will be easier as I go. I'm home alone while my wife is away for the weekend right now. Booze in the house. Has been since I quit. It's all good though. I plan to be in this for the long haul so no temptation.

Anyway, just posting my thoughts and checking in. Proud to still be sober. Congrats to all the others here as well as usual. We're AMAZING.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your plans sound good to me. I think if you want it bad enough you'll stay sober while you're away. And besides, how cool is it to wake up feeling good?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, least. Yeah, I think I will be ok too but it is easy to say safe at home. Then again, when I think about it, I could turn around right now without even getting up and grab a bottle of wine, but I'm not, I don't want to and I won't.

The sad part is I booked this trip before I quit drinking. I spent a week picking a hotel that was the closest to all the liquor marts. Whoops. I was terrified of not being able to get booze readily, now I'm terrified I'll be able to get booze readily. But, I'm kicking alcohol's ass.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi alchy

As long as you can long on here, you'll find support.

Just keep doing what you've been doing for the last three months - your trip needn't be game changer - it's just a temporary geographical relocation

D
Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I plan to have my tablet with me but apparently the wifi at the hotel is spotty so we'll see. I also plan to bring a few books I bought about alcoholism which I have not read as well. Thanks for the support!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

I really like your game plan. I go on lots of business trips and pretty much follow the same routine. Work, hit the gym, a bit of shopping, reading, the occasional AA meeting, hit a good coffee shop, etc. It's great being sharp for work and being good to myself. I don't find it boring or that I'm "missing out" on anything. Nothing wrong at all with a clean lifestyle.

I also try to have a sober friend along when I'm out socializing where others are getting drunk. It's just so mind-numbingly boring to have to listen to drunk people all evening.

Have a great trip!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Good luck, sounds like you have it sorted