Notices

My first night/day...

Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first night/day...

I stopped drinking last night, after drinking for god knows how long every night, it must have been over a year. I spent most of my night in bed fading in and out, sweating, shaking, but besides that it wasn't as bad as I thought. I woke up this morning with pretty bad stomach cramps, but no nausea. Still had the shakes, was sweating... so on.

I couldn't bring myself to go to work. I wanted to be around people to try to make this easier but just the way I felt, I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's about 4 in the afternoon here... I've made it this far in the day without any cravings or anything. I have however just started to become quite emotional. I was talking to my mother about this whole situation and she was nothing but encouraging, but I couldn't help but burst out into tears. I haven't felt anything in so long... and I just cry about one thing after the other.

Tonight I know I will be tested, I just pray I can stay strong and get through this first day. Thanks for listening SR
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hang in there Phase. Give your body a chance to get itself balanced again. Don't undo what you've already started by putting more poison in. That will only prolong things. The time is now and you are on your way. You can do this.

and listen carefully to your body. If you are not doing well, please see a doc.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks soberlicious. I am very lucky to have a sister as a doctor, so if I feel like anything is getting to the point where I can't deal with it, I will most def contact her. I just feel like I need to come up with a plan, something to help me with all these emotions I have that I've bottled up inside for so long. I guess it's really learning how to feel and live with your emotions. This is part of the reason I did drink so much, because I didn't want to deal with any of my emotions that surfaced... one step at a time
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i know how you feel about needing an outlet to deal with other issues that need to be discussed. i probably should have been seeing a therapist for the last three years, but with no insurance and out of work, the only think i can afford to scrape up is a twelve pack of beer. ive got a lovely woman that is rapidly gaining my trust, but she is not a professional. sure, we can attempt to delve into what causes me to want to drink, but we rarely find a solution. after spending all day perusing this site, i hope to have that outlet that so many others seem to be using.
good luck
pete
Old 09-28-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Phase

Way to go so far

I agree with soberlicious - you can do this...don't go backwards....and please do contact someone if you think you require medical assistance...detox is not something to take risks on.

D
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think maybe it's a good idea to talk to your sister anyway. Sometimes we can't always recognise when we're in trouble - assume your judgement is a little impaired at this stage of very early sobriety. Can't hurt to have someone who knows YOU and is a medical professional keeping an eye on you.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I think maybe it's a good idea to talk to your sister anyway. Sometimes we can't always recognise when we're in trouble - assume your judgement is a little impaired at this stage of very early sobriety. Can't hurt to have someone who knows YOU and is a medical professional keeping an eye on you.
I think your right. I'm going to go ahead and talk to her, she has run detox clinics in the past, so I'm sure she can diagnose how I'm doing while I detox. Thank you all for the support!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that's an excellent idea. Reach out for all the help you can get. Thinking we can do it alone, or that it's not so bad, are symptoms of the disease of alcoholism.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unhappy cravings...

Was doing okay today, but once night comes around is ALWAYS when I want to pick up the bottle and start taking shots. I made sure I had nothing laying around to drink, but I am having some serious cravings right now, and if I wanna do this, I'm gonna have to find a way to get through this whenever it happens...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found this technique was useful for me
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Night was rough for me too - but every night I stayed sober I found it a little easier to bear. Stick with it, PhaseOne

D
Very insightful, I never thought of meditation as a way to come over my cravings and negative thoughts. I will def have to give this a go, thank you much Dee74!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found this technique was useful for me
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Night was rough for me too - but every night I stayed sober I found it a little easier to bear. Stick with it, PhaseOne

D