Notices

Questions about becoming sober

Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about becoming sober

Hi there, I am new to the forum, this is my first post. I have been drinking heavily for about 6 years now, and I was finally confronted by my family about how I've just been getting worse and worse at drinking. I started drinking a little bit, then it turned into half a 750ml bottle a day, and now its a full bottle or more. I've decided enough is enough and have come out and admitted to everyone close in my life that I am an alcoholic. Now it's time to enter the first phase and start the life to sobriety. I have not stopped drinking yet, but I plan to tonight.

I have a few questions for those who have gone through the process of kicking drinking.

First, I've had pains in my kidneys, like my lower back. Has anyone else experienced this?? Is it normal to feel this when you stop drinking?? I have felt it before but I've always drank and it goes away. Obviously that's not going to be a choice anymore.

Second, one of the biggest reasons I've had such a hard time kicking drinking in the past is because I cannot sleep. I've always had issues sleeping before I even started drinking, and now that I've gotten used to drinking to fall asleep, I'm worried as to me getting rest and trying to get healthy. I don't feel like my body is completely dependant on alcohol. I did go on vacation a few months back and stayed with family who I could not drink around. I remember being exhausted during those few days, but I did not feel sick, just tired. Basically what I'm getting down to is if anyone has any recommendations on how I can fall asleep without drinking myself to sleep? I'm sure many people have had this issue when they stop drinking, I just wanted to see if I could get some pointers.

Thanks for listening. I hope this community will help me achieve sobriety and happiness.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi phase one

welcome

Any aches and pains, or long term insomnia I really recommend you see a Dr.
Not trying to be a wise guy but it really is the best way to tackle these issues

D
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, please do talk to your dr about your pains.

And, the insomnia will ease up as time goes by. In most cases, it's a temporary thing.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. My sister is a doctor, I will speak to her and see what she says about these pains. I really hope the insomnia is only short term. Last time I didn't drink I had some pretty intense crazy dreams, which caused me to drink again so I could just sleep through the night.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!

I used to drink myself to sleep also, but it wasn't good sleep. It took me a few weeks after quitting drinking but my sleep patterns did settle down and now I sleep quite well most of the time.

When you stop drinking be prepared to go thru some possibly rough days until it 'smooths out'. The first few weeks of sobriety can be difficult as your body and brain adjust to functioning without alcohol. But as long as you're eating well, drinking lots of fluids, and resting as well as you can you should be ok. Do get medical help if you have any signs of distress. And taking a good multivitamin can help your body get back on track.

I've been sober for almost two years now and will never go back to drinking. I like my sober life and my attitude is much better than it used to be - more positive and happier.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Crazy dreams and insomnia are pretty common - but, for most of us, they are temporary and pretty short -lived

D
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice least Good to know that you feel happier and positive. That's exactly what I'm going for. Just the fact that I've grown so accustomed to this life style of drinking, and have finally (hopefully) found the strength to break free and heal my body, mind, and soul. Hearing positive outcomes and people enjoying living life sober is music to my ears.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Red face

Welcome! I've been sober for 6 days now and at first I had a very hard time falling asleep and when I did sleep I had crazy dreams or felt like I was moving my hands and grabbing things when I wasn't but now after about a week I can't get enough sleep.

I use to drink to sleep as well and to fight stress and anxiety but I am feeling much better now so just hang through the junk...it won't last forever.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great to hear fallingwater! Tonight will be my first night without a drink. Normally I get home from work and start hitting the bottle right around this time. So far so good. I feel slightly out of it. Groggy, tired, I've been drinking lots of water all day but I still have a dry mouth and feel dehydrated. I just hope I can get some sleep tonight and wake up to a better tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please take the time to read this link Perhaps you will find it useful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

You wil find a link there about sleeping problems too.

welcome to our recovery community...
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you CarolD, this is extremely helpful. Thank you all for your help and support!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by PhaseOne
Hearing positive outcomes and people enjoying living life sober is music to my ears.
You will hear this all over SR...there is so much truly inspiring stuff here. You can do this.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
You will hear this all over SR...there is so much truly inspiring stuff here. You can do this.
Great to hear... exactly what I need. Thank you for your support, I CAN do this
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
yes you can. I have complete faith in you. btw, your ink is great...ink is part of my recovery too but not everyone gets it LOL
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PhaseOne - I'll chime in with all the others - you can do this & have a whole new life! The temporary problems as you withdraw will most likely fade away as you get well. It's great you have your sister to consult, though.

It's wonderful you found SR - here you'll find so many people who have been where you are. No one in my life truly understood the way my friends here did. We're with you all the way - let us know how you're doing.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
yes you can. I have complete faith in you. btw, your ink is great...ink is part of my recovery too but not everyone gets it LOL
Thanks It's the only ink I have but it was extremely important for me to get so I can always look at it and never forget this experience, and hopefully never return to it either.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, PhaseOne! Keep posting and let us know what's going on with you. We are here to support you! We DO recover!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and for giving me such a warm welcome into the community. I happened to stumble upon this site after looking for answers and finding people who are going through the same thing I am. I'm so glad I found SR. Thank you all so much
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OMG Phase, I have/had the same issues you have and am 45 days sober. I have HORRIBLE insomnia issues and a lot of stomach pain. My GP diagnosed gastritis, but you may have to see your own GP to address your pains. Have to tell you, my insomnia is still terrible (read my blog if you are interested), but the pains are gone. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A lot of people have short term insomnia in early sobriety. I wasn't one of them - I had insomnia to the point where I didn't sleep for days at a time. When I told people at meetings I couldn't sleep, they just said "Oh that happens to everyone". I don't think they realised I LITERALLY couldn't get to sleep. I had a nervous breakdown at about 60 days largely due to lack of sleep and have been on an anti-anxiety medication since then, which also treats my insomnia. It's non-addictive and completely safe. Definitely talk to your sister about non-addictive sleeping aids if it doesn't settle down after a week or so.