Notices

Non religious help?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
After entering an AA meeting hall, and seeing the steps on the wall, I was totally ticked off.

But the ole bottle forced me to become a bit more openminded, I decided to do what ever it took to try to change my life. I became neutral on the God thing,
Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
As an atheist that attends open AA meetings, I have found the wisdom of "take what you need and leave the rest" makes it possible for me be in a faith based fellowship.
Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I find some people in aa have a religion and some don't. I attend because I want sobriety, not religion. My way didn't work for sobriety. I am not religious.
Hope you see the pattern here. I walked into AA an atheist too but the program & the fellowship helped me.

AA isn't an organized religion it's a spiritual program. As mentioned, it's not the only option but it's the easiest one to find and get started in. What do you have to lose?

Good luck
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would definitely check out S.M.A.R.T. Recovery. They take a cognitive approach to your recovery.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow everybody, thanks. I did not expect that kind of response. Maybe I jumped to judgement on the program a little too early. Really appreciate it and I'll look into SMART. Haven't heard of that one
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Can anyone help me with the location and times of meetings on western Oahu? I tried a google search and only came up with cities, no locations or times. Any help is much appreciated
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey, Alchy. I found this: It's the meeting schedule for Friday. Tons of meetings. Hope you make one. I was like you on the God Thing. AA works for me. Has kept me sober for a year. More importantly, it's helping me fix me. Good stuff.

Friday « Oahu Intergroup
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Here's a link to the SMART meetings as well:

SMART Recovery® - Meetings
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Key word, there. They may come in that way, but they won't stay that way. There are no atheists in AA, not if they are actually working the program.
I agree with you on this. I tried to convince myself in the first year or two that my changed attitude was just the result of positive thinking and positive action. I couldn't pull it off. I wasn't able to deny the experience I was having and the conscious contact I felt with 'something'.

I still haven't defined that something, but I know it's there, deep in my core. Anybody with a solid 12 Step experience reaches the same understanding. Came to believe, in spite of not wanting to or not expecting I would.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by mhealer3
its never God's style 2 force Himself on anyone.
and its not my style 2 convince people of His Being.
i must assume though,
that folks who say they are atheists simply don't like Peace & joy.
if you are seeing God as a mean Personality, or as a 'buzz-killer',
it's understandable why you avoid Him.
Hey, I'm an atheist that dose like peace and joy . I just don't have any interest in God. In other words, God to me is meaningless, has no significance, don't care one tiny bit about God.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Key word, there. They may come in that way, but they won't stay that way. There are no atheists in AA, not if they are actually working the program. In spite of the deliberate misconstruction of the term in recovery circles, not believing in the G-d of the prophets does not make one atheist per se. Atheists will not believe in any higher power, traditional or otherwise, certainly not one you can establish conscious contact with as per Step 11.
Well all I can say is that, although I'm not a card carrying atheist, I've attended an atheist-agnostics AA meeting off and on for over twenty years. An impressive number of those folks have been sober for more than that and they seem to have attended the AA group more often than I have. Some of them go to other non agnostic AA groups from time to time and go with the flow and don't get upset.
Now you can say that these folks are not "working the program". Maybe some might say that in AA parlance they are all "dry drunks". I don't think that they really care what they're called. (They'd probably get a laugh about being called "dry drunks".) They're sober, happy, self confident-and that's really what it's all about. You can argue forever about how they did it. Or how someone else might do it. But if it works then that's what's important.

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 10-01-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo