Notices

Why is it so much harder this time to remain sober?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Editor

Originally Posted by shanman422 View Post
So I talked to hubby and his response... why don't you just limit yourself to once a week? haha... no matter how many times I try and explain this disease, he will never be able to wrap himself around it.
Yes this is my battle, but it's very hard to feel alone in this.... meaning hubby "supports me", but just because you say it doesn't mean that's enough! Then at times I think why should I expect anything in regards to my sobriety from him? Is there anyone out there that has a similar situation as far as your SO not feeling like you even have a problem?

Right now I am so glad that I have SR!!!!
Ultimately that is what I wanted and needed from my wife. Not until I was about 3 months into my latest journey did she jump on board to support me. She had seen me flip flop so many times in the past...that she figured that I would have a twelve pack on the next night I came home....well that never happened. I kinda used that as motivation for me. In turn that proved to her that this was the real deal. Would I rather her not drink. Yes....but I can not control her life. It is hers to live as mine is for me.
You have to do this with your mind and your own support. Having them understand when you are in a bad place and you need some space and time is the best support you can get.That was the hardest thing for me to figure out. The bottom line is it was and is on my shoulders. It has gotten easier and the sober time with my kids is worth every second.

Best of luck
Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just now read through your thread. lots of support and good conversation to help you.

I hope your Day #2 is going well.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks all... Day #2 is great!!!! I got to spend the morning with my kids because my DD had her 9 month checkup. (I work 8-430 Mon-Friday - so this was a treat) It was so nice to get my son ready for Kindergarten and wait at the bus stop with him. Then taking my DD to her check up. She is right on track, 95th % in height 50th % in weight and has a small head 25%... haha. Almost identical to my sons measurements at that age. Oh how I love my children... I am so blessed!

I keep finding myself thinking ahead though, which I try and remind myself to just take one MINUTE, HOUR, DAY at a time. The weeks are easier to get by... the weekends (like most) is going to be tougher, but with you behind me I can do it!!

I printed out AA meeting times yesterday... now it's a matter of getting to a meeting, which I am absolutely for doing now!!

Thanks SR again for your support!!!