Notices

Holiday Decorating

Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Holiday Decorating

I had only been sober for a few weeks last year when I noticed the neighbors putting up Halloween Decorations. I had been a homeowner for a few years but I had none. I had put that in the 'lame' category on some semiconscious level, I think. Cos ya know, getting drunk every day is so much more productive

I decided to take a stab at what made other people happy and off we went to Target. There was a light up ghost that my son (4) liked and I remember obsessing about it. It was $20. Was that too much or too little? How much do normal people spend on this kind of stuff? Then there were these metal bucket things that you put lights in. Those were $2. I had two children at the time (now I have 3) and they each chose one, purple and black. Then there was a cheesy wooden wall hanging thing that my son LOVED.

Then it hit me we'd have nowhere to store this stuff so I bought a large rubbermaid kind of bin. I thought "I'll label it 'seasonal'".

Then I went to the Starbucks there and got a pumpkin spiced latte and my kids split a brownie.

We came home and put up the tacky ghost and hung the cheesy wall thing and put out the buckets. I made my label, realized I had taken the wrong lid for the bin . When my kids heard my husband get home they waited at the top of the stairs. "Daddy!! Daddy!! Did you see the ghost?? We got a ghost! And a brownie!!". lol.

Yesterday I went to the cupboard to get out the box and there it was. Labeled neatly with an ill-fitting lid and tears just fell down my face. It probably sounds so stupid but I was just so overcome with the memories of that day. The anxious trepidation. The feeling in the pit of my stomach that I was on the right path. The hope!!

If you're just starting out then please know it gets better! Buying tacky Halloween decorations won't always be a day-long production. Before you know it, normal life will be well, normal!

Happy Halloween!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I LOVE that! I just love it.

That's what recovery is all about - the small things that can bring us so much joy, if we just let them.

Fabulous!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a completely different story than what I was expecting from the title. Hits me right between the eyes and just what I needed to hear. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

I have negative baggage with holiday decorations. For me, they are landmines. This year perhaps I can take a stab at doing what makes other people happy.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, first smile I have raised all day. I got those withdrawal emotions in high gear and this nearly made me cry!! :P
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just love your posts, SSIL. This is great. Normal, normal, normal!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful Post SSIL! I was one of those homeowners who decorated for every Holiday. That is, until I started drinking...then it became "lame" in my eyes too. I couldn't be bothered...drinking took over every aspect of my life. Just yesterday, I spruced up my fall wreath to hang on the door. I felt GOOD doing that. Part of society again...land of the living!

Thank you for your Post!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a sweet post. There are so many memories that can be made in a small gesture or event. Hopefully, this can be the first of many for you and your kids.

I find that the dollar stores have alot of neat things when you have kids. Target I found to be alittle extreme if you are buying alot of items. I had 4 kids and have had alot of cheesy, odd decorations. LOL

There are memories you can make without spending alot.
Bake Halloween cookies. You can get cookie cutters in various shapes and decorate them. Even just cutting out fall leaves from construction paper can be fun.
On St. Patricks Day we always had green milk. Sounds odd but we looked forward to it. A few drops of food coloring did the trick.
Also can be done on Valentines Day with red coloring.
I also would buy holiday napkins for every holiday and use them for their meals or packed lunch.
Sometimes its the little things that make the most memories.

Have fun this year with those little ones and congratulations on your newfound freedom.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for YOU!! I have always LOVED Halloween!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love this posting and a happy memory for you...(I've been looking at the cheesy decorations too...I like this motion activated screaming witch to hang on the outdoor lamppost)...the kids will love it.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Totally identify with that entire post (other than the three kids, I have one). Thanks for writing this today!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right on SSIL!

That is the best part of the end of summer. So many holidays around the corner to celebrate.

Your post made me smile and also reminded me how much fun I will also be having in the next few weeks
getting ready for Halloween with the kids.

Good stuff.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love the post!!! Although I am now crying at work!! Thank you so very much for sharing!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

This post made my day!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
part time member

What a wonderful post! Reminds me of all the things I missed while drinking...enjoy everyone..
Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok, so your post SSIL, made me happy and grateful for this day... then I read Prayforstrength's post and got teary because it made them cry.... for crying out loud!!! LOL! THIS is why I come here, these great feelings and the sharing!

Thanks everyone!
FJ
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Editor

Smile, chuckle, tear.
Life is good.
Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That was great and it does bring back memories on how I struggled to fit into the normal world. Well I still struggle to fit in at times, but you know what I mean. You are a very good writer by the way.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't do Halloween down here, but that was a great post SSIL75 - thanks!

D