Notices

Avrt

Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avrt

Due to a mention on this forum, I have discovered and have been reading about AVRT. Frankly, this concept makes more sense to me than anything I have read / experienced thus far regarding addiction. I never bought into the "disease" theory and I have always felt that AA only enables, to a degree, the addictive personality.

I am very new to AVRT... have only read a few pages. Have not taken the "crash course" because I can't, yet, according to the site.

I am very curious, however, to find out what those of you on the site feel about this.... AVRT? Good ? Bad ? Ugly ?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There are many tools that have been used on our way to sobriety, and they appeal to different people. That's why I don't think that a comparison on the basis of 'goodness' makes sense; each of us would make a different ranking.

If you would like to read more from folks that like AVRT and other similar approaches, take a look at the SR forum called Secular Connections. Lots of info and discussion there.

The introduction on the website is correct - it will make more sense to you if you are sober.

Last edited by freshstart57; 09-25-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: fixed something something
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LSNP View Post
Due to a mention on this forum, I have discovered and have been reading about AVRT. Frankly, this concept makes more sense to me than anything I have read / experienced thus far regarding addiction. I never bought into the "disease" theory and I have always felt that AA only enables, to a degree, the addictive personality.

I am very new to AVRT... have only read a few pages. Have not taken the "crash course" because I can't, yet, according to the site.

I am very curious, however, to find out what those of you on the site feel about this.... AVRT? Good ? Bad ? Ugly ?
I personally think that AVRT is a good method for sustained abstinence, but I dislike the underlying philosophical rejection of the disease model.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by LSNP View Post
Well, you do have to be sober first in order to be able to understand what you are reading. :-)

There is a thread on it in the "Secular Connections" forum:
Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Whatever works to keep you sober!

I'm glad you found something that makes sense to you.