Notices

Back at Day 1

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at Day 1

Hi,

I just thought I would sign up as I am feeling pretty low (though thankfully not the worst I have been) after another relapse. Just felt like having someone to talk to.

I stopped drinking last night about 8pm after a 5 or 6 day binge. I am not sure for certain but I know I spent lot of money and missed some important appointments. It's now 5:20pm where I am, so less than 24 hours sober.

I have managed to stay eating at least one good meal a day and I was only drinking beers, thankfully I didn't go for spirits... Today I have had the sweats but I can keep food down, I have got plenty of vitamins, omega 3, lots of water. As far as relapses go this wasn't a bad one but I still feel really down on myself for doing it... Shame, depression, anger, self loathing. I am guessing we have all been there.

My one hope is that I sleep tonight, if only for a few hours. I have things to do tomorrow that can't be put off and I need to sort myself out. Anyway, I just wanted to talk to some people and feel like I have some human contact.

Cheers.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just joined too, one day sober

My last relapse lasted one year, with losts of damage. I also need something like this, it's harder than anything I have ever done. Im pretty lost right now, I hope this can help us.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ventura. I think these first few days are the worst. Everything bad seems amplified and much worse. How have you been getting through today? I have been mainly reading, eating and sipping water... It's such a horrible feeling being like this. At least we are doing though eh? It's a step in the right direction so good luck to you!!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

getting through the day

My dt's lasted almost 30 hours. Thurs. I had to have two beers to handle them. The night was horrible, nausia, sweats, mind racing, shakes, Yesterday was better. My boyfriend is with me this weekend. But, next week is the problem. Ill need to make a list and stick to it, most likely go to meetings. Im not working but that never stopped me from drinking on the job. I need to have a plan. Thats how Ill make it. and my first plan is not to drink. If my boyfriend leaves me Ill be out on the street. Ive put him through three years of this. Ill keep you posted. Ventura47
Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm glad both of you are here. This is an awesome site with lots of really wonderful people who have tons of experience and knowledge to share. It's helped me a lot these last 18 months. Especially in the early days of my recovery, I'm not sure I would've made it without the people here. I hope you'll both hang around for a while.

Regarding detoxing, it is always a good idea to speak with a doctor about things like that. People have suffered health problems and even death during detox.

Again, thanks for being here!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, it's approximately 24 hours and 21 minutes since my last drink. The sweats are really kicking in but apart from that I am not TOO bad in the grand scheme of things. If I can sleep tonight I will be much better tomorrow... If I don't sleep, then tomorrow will be when the ride gets really bumpy.

I don't know about anyone else but a night's sleep can rid me of virtually all physical symptoms, but each night without it really cranks it up a notch and that's when the auditory hallucinations start, then it gets really edgy.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome MYNewName! If you get lonely why not try the chat room? You'll find amazing people there and tons of support! I used it when I started my recovery and I can't tell you how much it helped me stay sober.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MyNewName and Ventura47

I echo Snarf's advice - it's always best to see a Dr - detox can sometimes be rough for some of us.

I drank for 20 years. The support and ideas I found here really made the difference for me - I hope they will for you too

Welcome to both of you

D
Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Hopefully, a new beginning with a happy ending for both of you. It took me years of binges, swearing I'd never drink again, feeling better and drinking. Such a vicous cycle and once the cycle is broken, life is SO worth living. No missed work, no arguments, no hiding booze and best of all, no hangovers.
Hang in there...a real life is waiting for you.
Wishing you both peace and strength.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MyNewName - The good news is you never have to go back to that old, sick way of life. You never have to have another withdrawal. You can be free of the prison alcohol puts us in.

Ventura47 - Wonderful to see you here, too. You can do this thing
Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi people... 1am here now and no sleep so far. I feel so much worse than I did earlier. I can smell the booze seeping out of my pores, I am panicking about the repercussions of my binge. I am scared about the appointments I missed and the ones I am going to be too ill for tomorrow and Tuesday... I just wish I could sleep. Or that I had someone to talk to.

How can things that are so mundane and available in the sober world be so damn elusive when you need them most!?!?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ni mnn.
been where you are right now/i feel for you..it is a terrible place..
try to relax and not fight the sleeplessness.
dont worry about tomorrow..it will take care of itself..
if you believe in god or higher power ,,have a talk with him/her..
just know ..you don't ever have to go through this again..
make a plan to improve your life without alcohol...
if you are overwhelmed by the detox get yourself to a hospital.
everything else can wait and is not important..
i hope you can see the light of hope begininng to appear..
we have all been where you are right now.
tomorrow will defininately be hard ..but you can do it ...you have done it before and got through...
make this the last time.
god bless
Old 09-25-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Good to know you are on track again...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mynewname,

Welcome, and you are on the right path. You were in the Vodka bottle like my brother-in-law. He beat it, you can, too. Unfortunately, he did it from having to spend 3 months in jail, and then fortunately, 3 months in rehab. He used to drink a bottle a day. He is now 1 year and 2 months sober. You can do this. Keep reading here, keep posting, keep sweating it out, and definitely go to your doctor appt. It will be a rough road in the beginning, but the rewards are endless.

I was a whisky drinker straight from the bottle. I don't miss it. I pray I never go back - but a day at a time for me. Some good, some bad, but I'm glad I'm able to face new days every day.

Take care and I wish you well!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me, I think, or 3 or 2.5, I am not sure. I am just going to ramble on a bit, hope you all don't mind.

This is my first withdrawal (not relapse/drunk, I have drunk smaller amounts and been OK recently... Not again) in about 18 months, 2 years... It is even a relatively minor one I suppose. I have had 3 month vodka binges on a litre a day before and ended up hospitalised with DT's after 5 days of no-sleep ridden WD. This was just 6 days (morning until night) on the beer where people have told me that I didn't really seem that drunk...

Nevertheless, Argh! I forgot how awful it was. I don't even have the full range of physical symptoms I have had before, I only have insomnia and the sweats, but it is a nightmare. I am soaking wet, hot and cold, no sleep.

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow at 9am... Hopefully they will sort me something out. It's frustrating because I know I have been through worse before, but I feel dreadful, stuck in my smelly room sweating mad...

HELP!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The sweats were bad for me too, MNN. On the plus side, remembering how much I hated them helped me later when I had cravings. Best wishes.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ive been there mynewname.....it aint pretty....I still have those days of setback....and feelin pretty low, ashamed, lost, and beat myself up all the time about why, why, why, I do this to myself.....
Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Introvrtd

I did it to myself time and again until I was so beaten I was ready to try whatever it took...

There's no need to take the elevator all the way down to the basement tho

I dunno what you've been doing, but is there something you haven't tried yet, or you think you should try again, Intovrtd?

D