Notices

Anxiety

Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Every time I have tried to quit drinking, I have gotten really anxious and prone to angry outbursts, so I have never gone for more than a few days of not drinking... I'm guessing other people have had this experience too. I guess my question is whether this is "all in my head"? I have only been drinking regularly for 2 years and usually not more than 4 drinks daily, sometimes just 1 or 2 a day.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My anxiety went away after a couple weeks sober. But for the first two weeks I was emotional, anxious, and very angry. I'm normally not an angry person so I thought there was something wrong with me. After the first month, that all seems to be gone. Just my experience though.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yeppers! Totally normal. I had emotional roller coasters for a couple of months. Facing life's feelings which are normal, and when you feel them you can't control acting them out on others without your pain med alcohol is tough, for them. Every time I'd try to stop, even for half a day, I would feel I had to catch up and drank more, which became my new maintenance alcohol blood level.

The anxiety is indeed all in your head as much as it is for any of us. However acting them out in outbursts against others is a choice. You can keep trying and letting every discomfort send you back or you can decide to quit and enlist you doc and the local AA in your efforts as well as counselors and whatever it takes for you to understand the pheases you are going through and to get help if needed for the real and grin and bear the fleeting weirdness until it all passes.

Just remember, "It" doesn't get better. We get better.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's totally normal confuzd - and although I used my anger as an excuse to return to drinking several times it was a BS reason.

Like Itchy says - there's a lot of support and encouragement available - & a heck of a lot to be grateful for....

we can move past the anger

D
Old 09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't believe the anxiety anger is all in your head. We don't know how to deal with life's issues when we're sober and it's scary. And, I know I had a lot of anger towards myself when I stopped drinking, for allowing myself to get into such a mess. But, those emotions can be managed and the anxiety and anger will soon leave you.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Confuzd,

I always have anxiety after a night of drinking....especially when I go on an alcohol-induced bender...I have tried to quit 3 times and always have had severe anxiety after that for a week or so. For me it usually goes away after that...but I know that a lot of people deal with anxiety after they begin their sobriety journey.
I also get severely irritable as well. So I hear ya on that one.
I hope you begin to feel better soon enough. Thinking of you.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

For most people, anxiety is normal when getting sober and will typically go away within a few weeks/months, however for some people the anxiety sticks around or is a symptom of underlying mental health issues. Many people begin drinking to find relief from these more serious anxiety issues.

Just wanted to give a disclaimer, because if you get anxious or have anger problems and they don't go away after a period of time I would encourage you to see a psychiatrist and/or a therapist, as these symptoms may be able to be controlled using safe medication and through counseling.

Best wishes -- no matter what you do, don't let the fear keep you from quitting!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm totally with Josh and PP who have said that anxiety can be an underlying issue that alcohol temporarily masks and definitely aggravates. It is not really "all in your head", it could be a true medical/psychological issue. I have been sober 40+ days and am still suffering from nightly (sometimes daily but mostly during the night) anxiety attacks and insomnia. Sometimes it is insufferable and I feel worse than when I was drinking. I am staying straight, and hoping for some relief soon. If not, I will definitely see my GP and ask for some help. Perhaps you should consider the same. Try to get some sober time under your belt and see how you feel. Maybe after a few weeks you'll feel better on your own.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Wish I could respond earlier, but I only have internet access occasionally.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Confuzd,
I remember feeling agitated almost everyday. In retrospect, I really think my addicted body (mind) was "prepping" itself for the sure-to-come-soon medicine; ....booze.

You can recognize it for what it is.

Just my addicted voice trying to get what it wanted.
It, naturally, didn't give a damn about ME ; ....or what I want.