Notices

Day 44 Craving a Beer

Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 44 Craving a Beer

Hi everyone. Well I have 44 days sober today and unfortunately, I've been craving a cold beer all day long. I Figured I'd post here to get some support. I have been attending AA meetings regularly, but still have not found a sponsor. I am really nervous to ask someone to be my sponsor for some reason. Everyone is always talking before and after AA meetings, but I feel like I just don't know what to say to people. I feel like I don't fit in, like I'm an outsider. Hopefully posting here will help. It's just weird, because I was in such high spirits for the past few weeks, but today I'm feeling despondent. Sorry being such a downer today everyone.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FHB

never apologise for 'being a downer' - recovery is hard and it's not always candy floss and unicorns.

I struggled with cravings for quite a while - longer than 44 days. I figured that was pretty normal given I drank for 20 years.

The difference was - I did not act on that cravings...and they got less and less in intensity and frequency

I really hope you find a sponsor soon - don't let your fears hold you back.

People really do want to help - if they can't, for whatever reason, they may be able to suggest someone else

D
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 44 days, FHB1! You have come far during your time/posting on SR.
Your craving is your body wanting sugar, to be where you were. Try eating a bowl of cereal or some carbohydrate. Pasta or bread.

The craving will subside. Treat yourself nicely. Remember how far you've come and be proud! You deserve sobriety. I'm rooting for you!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey. Everyone has up and down days or else we wouldn't be human! Just remember that all it takes is one drink to end up where we were when we first started our sober journey. Or end up somewhere worse. Thanks for posting and I hope your day gets better! I can't really say much as I'm still struggling with my own issues. But its good you're on here talking about it.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi FHB1,

I'm with Dee on that, no need to apologize. You did the right thing by coming on to SR..that's what we are all here for...In the meantime, I'm happy that you can express yourself here...we really understand.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 45 and am also craving alcohol and feeling down today. I'd guess that's pretty normal at this point? I go to AA and I do have a sponsor, it definitely helps, as does this site. I'm sorry you feel like an "outsider" at meetings. Did they give you a list of numbers? I know it's scary but they really do mean it when they say to call them if you need them. Someone did it for them and most of them are more than happy to do it for you. I was told I needed to start getting into the steps, that that would help keep me sober. You will want a sponsor to help you get started on that. Listen to people talk and pick someone you can relate to or "you want what they have". All they can say is no, (I heard a lot of no's, but mostly because they were too busy with other sponsees). Maybe ask someone to be your temporary sponsor at first? Please don't pick up that beer you are doing so great. This is just a feeling and it will pass. I will take my own advice, too. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Try reading the story Freedom From Bondage in the AA big book.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your rapid responses! It feels good to know that there are people out there who I can turn to. I have to look on the bright side - I have 44 days sober today. I guess I started freaking out a bit this afternoon when I walked by a bar that has an outside patio and I saw a large crowd of people drinking and seemingly having a great time. I just have to be strong and keep going to meetings. I really need to get over my fears and just ask someone to be my sponsor. I'm a naturally shy person so that is a difficult step for me. I have always used alcohol to help overcome my extreme case of shyness and without it, I feel a bit lost. Thanks again for being there everyone, it really helps a lot!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

beer sucks!!!!!!

thats all i've got.

I take it back --- I've got one more

treat yourself to something that does not suck. like m&m's or ice cream
Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

oh fh hug

you are doing great , keep on the path

yes though just find someone you think you want just a littel of what they have, and like what they say, and do it , just walk up an introduce yourself and say will you sponsor me .

If not they will find someone that is ready and willing to. hug

and oh you fit in alright , you fit in just like a beautiful sunsrise hug,

See you in the chat ,
Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

No problem, FHB1! You are a friend and in my thoughts, always thought of with fondness!

I had a lazy day, went to 2 meetings, redbox was broken, so Monk on now. I'm feeling a little lonely...making caffeine free tea with agave sugar, watching my cat looking outside cause another cat (I hope) was in my little yard...

Not counting days, but I have a little over 4 months. Thoughts of getting a buzz, but they pass swiftly. Turned down & disappointed my male friend from a visit, but that's complicated. His birthday was yesterday, again, complicated!

Can't get to a chatroom on my phone, so I'm lurking...