Notices

Question about meth

Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about meth

Is it possible for someone to test positive for meth without having used it? I suspect someone very near and dear to me. This person is on a wide range of prescribed medications, and I wonder if some of these medications that this person is taking could result in a false positive test.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brass
Welcome

I'm not sure anyone here can answer your question with any certainty.

I'd imagine all your loved one needs to do is to provide a list of his or her prescribed meds and that should sort out any problem readings

D
Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I've read that kidney or liver problems, as well as diabetes can cause this. See a doctor to rule these out.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What drugs show up as methamphetamine on drug test

I was told years ago that any ADD medication will show up as Meth. I used to live with a lady who had a 12 yr old son who took Adderall.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Interesting - thanks Jim.

I think we should probably keep in mind wikianswers is not necessarily any more authoritative than we are, tho!

I'd imagine false positives occur all the time on all kinds of tests for all kinds of reasons.

If your friend is clean they have nothing to worry about, Brass

D
Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

False negatives occur, too. Many variables, including strength of home testing devices, human error, tainting, etc.

False positives & negatives are rare, but occur.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
... I wonder if some of these medications that this person is taking could result in a false positive test.
I don't know much about Meth but I do know that when I was in Rehab, they gave us a long list of legal foods, substances and meds that we were not supposed to take because they would screw up our random drug tests.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Make sure that your loved one discloses ALL the medications they are on. Most times the person giving the test will ask if you are on any medications but if they don't make sure they tell them that "hey I'm prescribed..." so it is noted on the test.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sure, there are some medications that could test positive... However, some monitoring programs will give a person who tests positive on the less expensive screening test the option to confirm or rule out by using the expensive gas chromatography test....

Some OTC meds are actually amphetamine in a nasal spray, but it is the l-isomer and doesn't have the effect in the brain, it will definitely test positive... decongestants... as you know they make meth from sudafed... also Wellbutrin, an antidepressant, can give a false positive.

Best to learn which meds can make a positive and not take them!!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

I was actually in rehab with someone who took A LOT of medication, she came up positive for meth (she says she never even used it before she was an alcoholic) of course no one believed her but the UA was sent to a lab where they determined that it was a false positive...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I don't know much about Meth but I do know that when I was in Rehab, they gave us a long list of legal foods, substances and meds that we were not supposed to take because they would screw up our random drug tests.
what was the food list you could not eat.