Notices

Would like to say hi and introduce myself :o)

Old 09-23-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Would like to say hi and introduce myself :o)

Erm, hi , my name is James; l live in Leeds UK. Well from Argentina originally but been here most my life so a brit at heart.

I've been t-total for two years this coming March. To be honest I have had a whole spectrum of addictions from alcoholism to cocaine addiction but am fighting to beat all of them! Except for my cigs, need those for the moment lol! Bit at a time bit at a time hehe. I've been to AA and NA meetings endlessly for the two years as it was my only way to succeed due to 5 years of attempting to get clean and sober and relapsed at all angles! I have done the 12 steps, infact I have done the 12 steps twice just to make sure I did it right the first time...that's how paranoid I am lol. Hope this is inspirational as truely and seriously if I can do it anybody can!

What got me here? Erm, I hate talking of the past stuffs so I'll just share that I had a terbulant childhood to say the least but I don't blame circumstancial environments to be what lead to my self destructive behavior. Addiction, to me, is born from insecurities from within that can only be provoked by bad situations, character defects. I'm afraid I bare all to friends only so maybe I'll be more comfy sharing later on? I will share though that I suffered Leukemia for a long period of my teenage life; you would have thought that triggers appreciation for life but lets not get into that as I was pretty much dealing with it alone. I am fine now if not a little clumsy but maybe that's more me than caused by Leukemia haha, just blame all my mishaps on that for the time being though :oP

Good things; I've a job! Ok ok it's stacking shelves but it's a job all the same. That has allowed me my own lickle flat, finally off the street and on my feet! Er, I write; deep stuff really and all that ****. Play guitar...oh infact new news... have a meeting with a band next week who have heard me play and have offered me a place in their band...fingers crossed! What else, what else...I love tattoos; my little addiction I do want to maintain. Erm cups of tea and bacon sandwiches. Love thunder storms too, remind me I'm a live (guess if I got hit by lightening it would huh hahahaha!)

Anywhoo, why I'm here...cut off from my old bad influence pals really and it's left me rather lonely so thought I would try here? I'm finding being alone has me thinking too much and stressing and getting me depressed and I really don't want this to cause me to struggle again so hope it's ok but I hope to find some company and make some friends?

Anyway I'm interesting I promise lmao!

Looking forward to meeting you and thanks for reading.

James x
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, James.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome James! I'm relatively new to this site and only
44 days sober. Live in Texas now but grew up in Germany where I was first introduced to alcohol at age 12. It gives me hope for a sober life when I see that you and others have been able to do this thing.
I'm glad you are ok after your bout with Leukemia. My 17 yr old son has brain cancer so I know firsthand how difficult that time in your life must have been and can't imagine how you ever went through it all alone.
You will love this site everyone is so welcoming and supportive! My best to you!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you will like it here, lots of good people to chat with and vent to if need be!

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((James))) - welcome to SR!! This is a GREAT place with some pretty awesome people. Congrats on your 2 years, and good luck with the band gig. FWIW, I've still got the cigarette addiction, too, but have been in recovery from everything else for 4-1/2 years. Eventually I'll tackle it, but not today.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow!

OMG you are all so nice! Friends yay! (sounding quite sad right now...it's what being alone does to the mind!)

Eliasson, I'm sorry to hear about your son :o( I hope he beats the cancer! It was the hardest time of my life of course as I had no idea what Leukenia was nor had I anybody family-wise to support me as such as ties are cut (won't go into that) I was 18 and battled away. It complicated really as I was drinking (now I think about it...quite heavily) from 13 I think and taking drugs I didn't really think about it at the time as unusual behavior. Finding I had on set Leukemia; irony is being hospitalised meant being the longest length of time sober and clean. Freaked me out but I could distingush between cravings, withdrawal or just plain sickness. May have been all of them! I beat it anyway but when I was released from care the only poeple I knew to return to were mates who were involved with drugs so being an idiot and not knowing any other way of life I fell back into it, eventually taking cocaine and heroin. I hate myself for it...not appreciating that I just battled Leukemia for a start! I hate that all the effort those doctors and nurses put in just for me to go back to drugs in the end and that some sufferers loose their battle with Leukemia and yet they would have used the time in their lives better than I did if they had survived...I punish myself still even today but am trying to make ammends and so have been completely cold turkey no booze or drugs for two years whooop! And so I hold heart that your son will be ok because he will deserve to be and will beat cancer!

Imperrfect, thank you for the encouragement. Over 4 years for you> Wow! I aim for that next...each little step each little day. Need the cigs hahaha but hey we can ditch those together? Next battle lol. Have just been feeling sorry for myself of late if I must be completely honest and wanting friends buddies lol.

Thank you too DJ, you seem real cool! Aw you are all so amasing, didn't expect any response to me silly 'hiya there' message hahaha, embarrassing.

Maybe being too eager to add you as friends already? Lol!

Thank you

James
Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JJK

welcome..
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words. It is hard to watch my son go thru so much and I was accustomed to drinking the fear away. Now learning to deal with all feelings sober.
It's definitely not too eager of you to call us all your new friends! We are all striving towards the same goal and that gives us something in common right away. Always nice to know you can come here for support and encouragement. You don't have to do this alone!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Dowg!

Congratulations on 2 years sober - that's quite an accomplishment!

Sounds like you've been through a lot with your leukemia, but it's great that some good things are coming into your life right now. I've been sober about 16 months and I still see positive changes. It feels good to try to be the best I can be instead of wanting to escape all the time.

It's wonderful to be able to connect with everyone here, with people who know what it's like to struggle with addiction. I'm really glad you found us!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

'Sup Dowg? Welcome.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Welcome! I am on day 3 here and feeling good and hearing when people beats things and gets their life back together does give me more hope each and everyday. So welcome! This place has been my haven as I just quit/got fired not really sure which since I just stopped showing up and now moved back to my parents in the middle of the countryside trying to figure things out so I am on here ALL THE TIME

People are supportive and nice and from around the world!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I replied to your other thread - but welcome again

D