Notices

It Needs to Stop

Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry It Needs to Stop

I was going to post this @the gay forum, but I think this issue needs general attention.
14 year old Jamey Rodemeyer took his own life because he could no longer take the bullying over his sexual orientation.

As a victim of bullying myself, I'm heartbroken and outraged.

When, exactly, are people going to become human?

Bullying??! Do you punch your dog for fun? Sling your cat around from its tail? Slap your kid around for the hell of it?

It is outrageous.

Granted, I'm not an American, but this is issue is not limited to the US.

"It gets better" my a**, it does not magically get better, it takes acceptance, work and HELP. Right now the statistics regarding GLBT youth are horrifying: mental health issues, suicide, and substance abuse (30%)

I'll be candid, this is one of the reasons why I turned to booze. To escape this nightmare.

Is it that people simply fail to understand just how much it can hurt? Maybe they just don't care-

When?!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry to read of this, Matt.

Any 14 yo dying is bad enough - to take your own life, in response to other peoples bullying, is dreadful....just so sad.

Bullying of any kind - whatever the grounds or 'reason' - disgusts me.

D
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was bully in school myself. It's not fun and I was depression when it happen. But it's something that will always happen with kids. I know it may said bad but it's part of life and learning how to deal with it, is really important if you want to be truly happy.

Too bad he didn't do something about it instead of closing in and letting his thoughts control his life and no longer future.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
This is unfortunate, and every time I read something like this, I do find it disturbing. To answer your hypothetical, though, no, they don't care, and you are wasting your time hoping that they will. Savages respond only to savagery or the threat of disproportionate retaliation.

I recall the principal in school telling me once that I brought any misfortune on myself. I said to him "I presume that means you will do nothing, then? Very well. Rest assured that if anyone comes at me, though, that I will break bones indiscriminately if necessary, and that I will never go quietly into the night, certainly not before finding a way to pour gasoline on you and lighting a match."

There were a few incidents where I had to prove my point, but predictably enough, no more bullying.

From anyone.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Tragic...so sad, there are no words

I agree with TU that unfortunately "speaking the bully's language" is the only thing that seems to work to stop the behavior. But what can be done on a more global level to effect change? I know that we have bullying awareness programs in schools, but I don't know the effectiveness of these programs. I know there is a lot said about zero tolerance of this behavior, but with some of the stories in the news it looks like that "zero tolerance" may just be lip service.
I agree with you matt, when?!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No Matt of course no one should have to put up with bullies ,

We used to say its just a part of growing up that kids are mean to each other, but it has gotten so out of control.

One of my best friends from high school was a gay male, he tried so hard to hide it , thankfully he made it is a awesome gay adult, i couldnt be more proud lol,

I am just one of the lucky people that was raised with the utmost repect for people and there lives.

I am sorry another life was lost due to meanness. hug
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've thanked all the responses so far. Maybe I don't agree with some of them, but that's not the point, it's not about me.

I just want to raise awareness. We all need to cultivate empathy during recovery, it's vital: to look past our differences and embrace what we do have in common.

We cannot permit thiese acts of cruelty to go unheard.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've always believed that anyone who derives pleasure from inflicting pain on another sentinent being whether it be a person or animal is sick and twisted to the nth degree. The golden rule is always treat others as you would like to be treated. It is just crazy that bullying in the schools, workplaces and society in general is still tolerated at all, it needs to be dealt with a lot more severely, a slap on the wrist and telling the bully to behave just does not cut it IMHO.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
This is unfortunate, and every time I read something like this, I do find it disturbing. To answer your hypothetical, though, no, they don't care, and you are wasting your time hoping that they will. Savages respond only to savagery or the threat of disproportionate retaliation.

I recall the principal in school telling me once that I brought any misfortune on myself. I said to him "I presume that means you will do nothing, then? Very well. Rest assured that if anyone comes at me, though, that I will break bones indiscriminately if necessary, and that I will never go quietly into the night, certainly not before finding a way to pour gasoline on you and lighting a match."

There were a few incidents where I had to prove my point, but predictably enough, no more bullying.

From anyone.
THANK YOU!
We need to let them fight back. zero tolerance for violence is ********! You have not only a right but an obligation to defend yourself! Today a child who fights back is punished just like the instigator total crock of new age ****!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Humans are the cruelest of all creatures & we are meant to be the intelligent one ?????
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was bullied in school and I can't tell you how many times I wanted to kill myself or kill one of them. People talk about stories like these, or stories like the Columbine shooting, and they don't understand. However if you have lived it, then it is easy to understand. I really have been that mad. Sometimes the schools don't know about it or even care. It is the job of everyone who works in the school to make sure it is a safe and healthy place for every student, not just some of them. It is ILLEGAL to physically abuse someone. Yet this can happen right in front of a teacher and they do nothing about it. The public school system in America can be disgusting.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We are a savage species, no doubt. As long as there are ignorant and cruel people this will not end. As long as some people are threatened by someone who is different there will be cruelty and bullying.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is so very sad.

My personal belief is that too many parents are not caring enough to teach their children to care about others.

Sometimes I wonder if these "bullies" are ones who have been abused or ridiculed, and in turn, cut someone else down, to feel better about who they are? It is sick, but I kind of feel that these bullies ARE sick. Lack empathy. Lack heart. Have to tear at someone, to express the hate in their own hearts, for who they themselves are.

Perhaps we should teach caring, and empathy in early grades in school. of course, there is probably no money for that either. These bullies grow up to abuse their own children, who in turn bully someone their own age, since they can't lash back at their bully parent.

It seems to be getting worse, not better.

I swear, I would take my child out of a school where that was happening, and get him help, and take the school to task, kicking and screaming. should be able to sue the school for this sort of crap. if they are not going to protect , then he!! with them.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want to take the focus off Jamey but I did want to say:

I know violence as a response to violence (which is what bullying is) sounded pretty good to me at 15...it doesn't sound that good 30 years later tho...it dismays me really.

I think tit for tat responses simply perpetuate the problem and engender new generations of violence...

I don't know what the solution is but I'd love to see a lot more education, and a heck of a lot more resources out there.

No one should feel as alone as this kid obviously did.

D
Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know what the solution is but I'd love to see a lot more education, and a heck of a lot more resources out there.

It will be difficult to effect change in attitudes when a portion of the population, at least in the US, sees gays as a huge threat to the country. It's illogical, and driven by rage, which in itself is illogical, but education can only do so much - the rest is up to families.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is an issue that is hugely important to me, too.

I was so very sad to read of Jamey's death.

I don't know what the solution is, however, I think it would start with school principals and officials being held accountable for the bullying at school. What I see time and again, is a school principal saying we weren't aware of the problem, at the same time the child's parents are saying, of course the school knew about the problem. In my opinion, it's too easy for school principals and officials to step back from the problem. I think there needs to be Zero Tolerance for bullies in school, and that they should be expelled for bullying and not allowed back into the school until the family has had counselling.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It really does need to stop.

My friend had terrible bullying issues with her girls. For 3 years she fought with the school about their lax approach. This year she finally threatened legal action and the new principal vowed (via email) to take a harder stance than his predecessor and asked for a second chance. His approach (mandatory shadowing/separation of the bullies) has been working beautifully.

When my friend finally met him face to face she saw he was a short man with thick glasses and pockmarked skin. Sometimes you just don't 'get it' until you've been there!

eta: I, too was bullied.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know violence as a response to violence (which is what bullying is) sounded pretty good to me at 15...it doesn't sound that good 30 years later tho...it dismays me really.
Still sounds damn good 30 years later to me!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Matty, these stories are always heart breaking to me. When people treat other people this way, for whatever reason, it is harmful to all of us. I thank you for posting it as awareness is always important to change.

And i understand what you said about turning to booze to escape. I can certainly relate to that.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post

I just want to raise awareness. We all need to cultivate empathy during recovery, it's vital: to look past our differences and embrace what we do have in common.

We cannot permit thiese acts of cruelty to go unheard.

I agree. Someone has to step up and try to be the voice for the unheard. Which is why I'll preach and fight for equality until the day I die.